Chasing water

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
Recently, my RO system on my fridge stopped flowing. I installed the racked system 3 or 4 years ago when I replaced my 46 year old fridge so I assumed the membrane was used and ordered a set of filters(5)/membrane. When they arrived last weekend, I installed them this past weekend, along with a permeate pump which uses the brine solution(waste water) to create more pressure in the RO sys, much like a turbo does on an engine. When I was all complete, my RO system still did not work! So much for being "Super Plumber"!

SMH

Going deeper into the issue I soon discovered that solenoids are no longer installed on the back of fridges nor are they 24 bucks anymore.....thankfully, my 124 dollar duel-solenoid was fine..... the 80buck delivered filter-head with the bypass plug, even though static(it doesn't move), fails over time. There must be a diaphragm in where the tubes go but it's nonservice able, even by me!.....see the pic....it's one piece with the "reservoir", check it out......instead of a tank that gets slimy over time, now they use a tube bundle that gets scoured with each use of water whether to the icemaker or water dispenser....brilliant! Reminds me of the old VW's that used air pressure in the WW tank to power the wiper fluid.....loved it! Simple and effective, like Z's solar pumps!

Now here's a question for those that like puzzles......I bought this fridge new....direct from Whirlpool, .....I bought the RO system also new and connected the fridge....the fridge was never connected to anything else.................WHY is there rust appearing at the point of connection????? Open the pic below in a new tab...it's clearly discolored, exactly like my well water does downstairs prior to my water treatment systems. There should be ZERO oxides of any type passing through a RO membrane!

Interesting.....any ideas guys?

filter and tube bundle.jpg

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
This is the point of connection on the fridge side? And it looks like its just on the one side. Since it's originating from the connection point thats metal vs not (on the other end), I'd think its caused by the RO water reacting with the metal or pulling what it can from the metal.