Charging/mounting behavior

Bowserthetord

Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
Hello all. So I have a 1 year old red foot and an older male Russian(we don't know specific age but fully grown I think). We don't know the gender red foot. So there's quite a size difference to them. The Russian is new to us and he's adjusted quite well. They both have separate enclosures but I have been letting the be house together when outside-with consistent supervision. For the most part red foot is interested in Russian but Russian couldn't care less. UNTIL yesterday....out of no where(they were on opposite sides of the enclosure)the Russian charged at the red foot and proceeded to climb on top of him. I interviened and put Russian back on the other side but he immediately started to charge at him again. He has never done this to him before and it seemed very intentional. I immediately separated them after he attempted the second time. Can anyone lead me in why this may have happened and what I should do? (Besides separate) they were just minding their own business eating grass and it was like a switch went off on the Russian. Thanks!

Last edited:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
That really is not something you should do...they are from different continents and could pass bad bacteria and make the other sick.
Now...I have a female box turtle who mounts any thing out in the pond. She also flips another over then mounts it. I believe this is bullying at it's best. So she needs to be separated from any other turtle. she lives alone inside, but she's put out in the pond with all the other box turtles. I sit and watch her and she bullies every other turtle...I stop it and she goes to another...the jerk

Bowserthetord

New Hampshire
Never mix species! Tortoises do not want company and the Russian can be a lot meaner than the RF
Keep them separated always!
Okay thank you! I was hoping they could eventually be housed together if they got along but obviously I don't want to stress either of them out.

Bowserthetord

New Hampshire
That really is not something you should do...they are from different continents and could pass bad bacteria and make the other sick.
Now...I have a female box turtle who mounts any thing out in the pond. She also flips another over then mounts it. I believe this is bullying at it's best. So she needs to be separated from any other turtle. she lives alone inside, but she's put out in the pond with all the other box turtles. I sit and watch her and she bullies every other turtle...I stop it and she goes to another...the jerk
I didn't even think about the bacteria thing. Ok thanks!! Ya I feel like he was being a bully too lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay thank you! I was hoping they could eventually be housed together if they got along but obviously I don't want to stress either of them out.
Even if they were the same species, they can not be housed in pairs for the same reason you are seeing. Groups usually will work or single, never pairs. And never mixing species.
Besides the bullying and the bacteria thing, they both require totally different kind of care, heat, lighting, diet, etc.
I think you should do some deep research on here into each species care requirements and diet. RF can have fruit, Russians can not for an example.