? ? change in behavior and small white spot on scute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leroy's_homeboy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SE Wisconsin
Leroy has been acting odd ever since we rearranged his indoor habitat. He doesn't seem as active. He'll just lay on his basking rock facing the corner for hours. I'm kinda worried because I've read that tortoise's normally bask for 20-30 minutes at a time. Also I noticed that there is a small white chip in the middle of his shell which seems to be getting bigger. Don't know if this helps but where his basking rock is now there used to be one of his hides. As for info on habitat, we use 50/50 organic soil and coconut coir. The temps are 95-105 on the warm side and around 75 on cool side. He has 2 hides, one on each side. Humidity varies from 30-60%. He also has an outdoor enclosure that he's in for most of the day. I attached some pics of Leroy's shell, before the white spot and with spot and a pic of his habitat I'm new to owning a tortoise and I just wanna make sure he's healthy and happy.
IMG_0530.jpg
IMG_0542.jpg
IMG_0573.jpg
IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
I don't know what it is but my tort basks for an hour or so facing the corner.... I spritz him with water :) it either wakes him up bc he is asleep or he soaks it in :)

Did he get a vet check up when you got him?

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
Leroy said:
Leroy has been acting odd ever since we rearranged his indoor habitat. He doesn't seem as active. He'll just lay on his basking rock facing the corner for hours. I'm kinda worried because I've read that tortoise's normally bask for 20-30 minutes at a time. Also I noticed that there is a small white chip in the middle of his shell which seems to be getting bigger. Don't know if this helps but where his basking rock is now there used to be one of his hides. As for info on habitat, we use 50/50 organic soil and coconut coir. The temps are 95-105 on the warm side and around 75 on cool side. He has 2 hides, one on each side. Humidity varies from 30-60%. He also has an outdoor enclosure that he's in for most of the day. I attached some pics of Leroy's shell, before the white spot and with spot and a pic of his habitat I'm new to owning a tortoise and I just wanna make sure he's healthy and happy.
IMG_0530.jpg
IMG_0542.jpg
IMG_0573.jpg
IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

My smaller Russian likes to get himself on his side or completely vertical (head down) in between the basking rock and the wall and sleep there for long periods. Seems fine to me.

Patrick

grogansilver

5 Year Member
How long has that rock cave been there? This could be a reason he has the white spot on his shell in the front of his shell, it would be from going mainly in and out of the rock enclosure with the top hitting his shell. Put him in front of it and watch him go inside all the way see if it touches!

Leroy's_homeboy

5 Year Member
SE Wisconsin
It's been in there for about 2 days. I watched him and it doesn't seem to touch his shell but i'll raise it to be on the safe side. I'm just worried about the spots being the start of shell rot.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Let others weigh in, but your conditions sound very good, so I would be surprised if that is shell rot, looks more like something chipped it.
Not sure why he has changed his behavior, but they do tend to sulk a bit when things get rearranged, even though it may be good for them.
When he is outside, doe she move around, eat, poop all those good things?
The only thing I would verify is the temps. Are you using a good thermometer like a digital thermometer and/or in infared temp gun so you have an accurate idea?

Leroy's_homeboy

5 Year Member
SE Wisconsin
He has been giving me the "evil eye" ever since I changed things,lol. His behavior outside is great, very active and curious, and he poops and urinates regularly. I have 2 cheap thermometers that I bought from Petco mounted inside of the enclosure, but I check the temp gradient often with a Raytek Mini Temp thermometer gun.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It does not look like shell rot, more like some type of damage to the shell, and they like routines, if you mix up their habitat you will often get the evil eye.

Leroy's_homeboy

5 Year Member
SE Wisconsin
Thanks to everyone for the input. It's good to know that I'm providing him with what he needs. Now I'm a little less paranoid:)

Status
Not open for further replies.