Chamber vs. greenhouse for indoor RF

Tony78

Location (City and/or State)
Naperville
Hello everyone, new to the forum. We rescued a cherry head almost two years ago. Today he lives in a 3x5 bookshelf made into a table. I struggle with humidity and have been reading here about chamber habitats. My question to all of you is would it be better to build a chamber or should I go down the indoor greenhouse route. I’m thinking the new habitat will be 4x8. Putting a 4x8 table into an indoor greenhouse seems simple and easy to take apart for cleanings / maintenance. Building a chamber seems to be more popular here. I’d love to hear pros/cons of each, which you prefer and any suggestions if you were in my shoes starting over.

Thanks!

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Welcome!

Many of the nice permanent builds you see are from folks who probably own their own homes. Greenhouses are easy upkeep after the initial planning and setup, they’re just a little odd-looking to guests and have a few minor quirks (like accidentally poking a hole in the plastic).

For humidity, a larger indoor greenhouse may not retain as well as you hope. They are controversial here, but I use a Reptifogger on a timer. The substrate should do most of the work (at the very least: deep soil, and orchid or cypress bark on top).

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hello everyone, new to the forum. We rescued a cherry head almost two years ago. Today he lives in a 3x5 bookshelf made into a table. I struggle with humidity and have been reading here about chamber habitats. My question to all of you is would it be better to build a chamber or should I go down the indoor greenhouse route. I’m thinking the new habitat will be 4x8. Putting a 4x8 table into an indoor greenhouse seems simple and easy to take apart for cleanings / maintenance. Building a chamber seems to be more popular here. I’d love to hear pros/cons of each, which you prefer and any suggestions if you were in my shoes starting over.

Thanks!
Closed chambers are more suitable for Hatchlings but not really as necessary or feasible for adults. Once your Redfoot is about 2 years and growing good you can back off the super high humidity some.

Tony78

Naperville
Thanks for the replies everyone. I found and 8 x 3 indoor greenhouse and have begun ordering a few parts to build that out in conjunction with building out a much larger outdoor area for him to exercise a bit when we have appropriate weather. We suspect he's about 10 years based on what info we got from his previous owners. The greenhouse should be an improvement over what he has today so we'll start there as it's not a significant investment in time to build anything. Great forum and thank you again for the replies!