Chalk (Limestone Rock)

SasquatchTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Forth Worth, Texas
I was scrolling through the forum when I saw a few people mention something about giving or letting tortoises chew on chalk or high-calcium limestone for supplementation. Rock Chalk (not sidewalk chalk or climbing chalk, which sometimes has lead), as far as I am aware, is almost completely composed of Calcium Carbonate.
Wikipedia:
"Chalk is typically almost pure calcite, CaCO3, with just 2% to 4% of other minerals. These are usually quartz and clay minerals, though collophane (cryptocrystalline apatite, a phosphate mineral) is also sometimes present, as nodules or as small pellets interpreted as fecal pellets. In some chalk beds, the calcite has been converted to dolomite, CaMg(CO3)2, and in a few cases the dolomitized chalk has been dedolomitized back to calcite.[3]"

Any thoughts about this?

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
I was scrolling through the forum when I saw a few people mention something about giving or letting tortoises chew on chalk or high-calcium limestone for supplementation. Rock Chalk (not sidewalk chalk or climbing chalk, which sometimes has lead), as far as I am aware, is almost completely composed of Calcium Carbonate.
Wikipedia:
"Chalk is typically almost pure calcite, CaCO3, with just 2% to 4% of other minerals. These are usually quartz and clay minerals, though collophane (cryptocrystalline apatite, a phosphate mineral) is also sometimes present, as nodules or as small pellets interpreted as fecal pellets. In some chalk beds, the calcite has been converted to dolomite, CaMg(CO3)2, and in a few cases the dolomitized chalk has been dedolomitized back to calcite.[3]"

Any thoughts about this?
I'm no expert but are you talking about cuttlebones? Correct me if I'm wrong.

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
I'm no expert but are you talking about cuttlebones? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Well, chalk is technically the remains of very old sea creatures... I was mainly talking about the stuff that can be mined out of the ground.
that's partly why I was curious- Both are made of the same material (CaCO3), However Chalk is made of a form called calcite, and cuttlebone is formed as aragonite- a different molecular organization, if Google is to be believed.