Chainlink sight barrier

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I’m moving into a new house with a chainlink yard. My Sulcata is free roam in my current backyard. I want to prep the new backyard fence for when she goes back out in spring 2022. What do you suggest for a sight barrier for the chainlink?

I’m looking for something that will keep her from seeing out but hopefully doesn’t look ridiculous.

My other option is to create a pin for her within the yard. It’s an acre. I’d rather her still be allowed to free-roam the yard. It has a wooden shed on the property that we are insulating for winter. If we do a pin, my thought was to build it around the shed and create an indoor/outdoor area for her, similar to a zoo habitat.

Thoughts? Suggestions? pictures?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
See the lattice? I put the lattice on my chain link fence with zip ties...then I marked off 2 feet in and dug that up the length of the fence. I planted 6 rose bushes along the fence using 2 high cinder block to mark the flowerbed and keep my Sulcata out of it and away from the fence...100_0092.JPG
don't mind the cut lilac tree...lol anyway I hope that helped some...

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
See the lattice? I put the lattice on my chain link fence with zip ties...then I marked off 2 feet in and dug that up the length of the fence. I planted 6 rose bushes along the fence using 2 high cinder block to mark the flowerbed and keep my Sulcata out of it and away from the fence...View attachment 337499
don't mind the cut lilac tree...lol anyway I hope that helped some...
What do you mean, 2 feet in?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m moving into a new house with a chainlink yard. My Sulcata is free roam in my current backyard. I want to prep the new backyard fence for when she goes back out in spring 2022. What do you suggest for a sight barrier for the chainlink?

I’m looking for something that will keep her from seeing out but hopefully doesn’t look ridiculous.

My other option is to create a pin for her within the yard. It’s an acre. I’d rather her still be allowed to free-roam the yard. It has a wooden shed on the property that we are insulating for winter. If we do a pin, my thought was to build it around the shed and create an indoor/outdoor area for her, similar to a zoo habitat.

Thoughts? Suggestions? pictures?
If you get plywood, the thin stuff, and cut it into 12" x 8' strips, you can cover 32 feet per sheet. If you have a big male, you can got to three strips of 16" and cover 24 feet per sheet. You can attach it by screwing into 12 inch sections of 2x4 on the other side of the chain link or with bailing wire. You can paint it whatever color you like, or leave it untreated and replace pieces as needed as the years pass.

Sheets of corrugated plastic or tin will work similarly.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can lay wide decking boards, there is vinyl strips for weaving, and even fence panels.
I did wood fence panels on the outside of my chain link. I just wired them to the chain link.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you get plywood, the thin stuff, and cut it into 12" x 8' strips, you can cover 32 feet per sheet. If you have a big male, you can got to three strips of 16" and cover 24 feet per sheet. You can attach it by screwing into 12 inch sections of 2x4 on the other side of the chain link or with bailing wire. You can paint it whatever color you like, or leave it untreated and replace pieces as needed as the years pass.

Sheets of corrugated plastic or tin will work similarly.
Plywood will rot and fall apart quickly if not treated or painted depending on where you are located. Will last a bit longer if in an area that has almost zero rain.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Many years ago a BIG wind storm blew my then next door neighbor's metal shed apart and a lot of the sheets ended up in my yard. Being the pack rat that I am, I set the sheets aside and saved them. . . even moving them to my new house when I moved.

Eventually I had to occasionally use my backyard to house a large sulcata when I got them in through the rescue I was operating.

I had separated my yard with a chain link dog kennel. Instead of setting the kennel up in a rectangle like you're supposed to I used T posts and set it up in a straight line across the backyard. Then Zip tied those metal shed sheets across the bottom of the chain link. It's been that way now for about 20 years and through quite a few large sulcatas (one at a time).

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
From the fence... 2 feet in the yard....the length of the fence creating a flowerbed...
I just took some pictures so you can see what I mean...
From the fence... 2 feet in the yard....the length of the fence creating a flowerbed...
I created a flower bed then planted roses...they bloom all different colors, and my Sulcata eats the flowers...also I grow Rose of Sharon and they help feed my tortoises all Spring and Summer...just giving you ideas that don't cost much but so pay off in the quantity of food grown and fed...here's the barrier
100_1360.JPG100_1362.JPG
and here's a couple of photos of the Rose of Sharon that I grow and I'm hoping it will give you ideas that you can utilize on that big acreage that will pay off in 100_4756.JPGtortoise food...100_8198.JPG
I have many many different trees and bushes. My torts get lots during spring and summer...I also grow grape vines for the leafs. That's a very healthy treat food for them...100_0170.JPG
I hope I've helped...
100_0177.JPG