CGT had his tail bitten off by YBS

Deb82

5 Year Member
Hello all. I was wondering of anyone else has experienced this issue. My Chinese Golden Thread finally reached 4" SCL so I decided that I would add my little guy to my main aquarium which is a 110 gal home to my YBS who is 6" SCL. All was well today until I was cleaning the tank and all of a sudden I see that my YBS has her jaws on my CGT's tail and before I knew it she took off maybe an eighth of an inch! She has never been aggressive that I've seen with him bit my poor baby's tail is a stub now!
As far as the wound, it didn't bleed and she did not bite near or at his cloaca. He has eaten and is basking as I type this and prior he was swimming around as if nothing was wrong. Is there anything that I should be doing as far as first aid? Thank you!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
No blood, then I would just leave it alone. Oh wait I would do one thing, separate, sometimes turtles don't make good tank mates, just my opinion.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
A good friend of mine, Aaron, keeps yellowbellies, ocadias, and pink bellied side necks, and he's always talking about how aggressive the ocadias are. He raised three together, and once they reached the three inch mark, the male started biting both of the females. He separated them, and then the females started attacking one another a few months after that. I've noticed this is pretty typical with many east asian turtles (Reeves turtles are a good example), that solitary keeping is probably best. Most folks I've met who keep aquatics tend to keep sliders and cooters together in large tanks or ponds, although size is an important consideration with these guys, but many old world turtles just don't seem to get along, with males being particularly nasty. And some sliders are just jerks. One of Aaron's yellowbelly males bit the toes off the right front foot of another male tank mate. This particular male is also the most aggressive when picked up, actively striking at anyone foolish enough to move near his mouth.

T.G.

Deb82

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. I have separated them again as to avoid any further confrontations. The CGT tail seems to be healing nicely and I do not see any behavior change that would indicate that he is unwell thus far. Not that I have a favorite amongst any of my turts or torts, but my CGT started my fascination with keeping turtles and I couldn't picture life without him. <3