Ceramic Heat Emitters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stev0623

5 Year Member
Whats the verdict on these things? I've never used them, but heard good things.

During the cold nights I keep my torts in 4ft by 8ft boxes, how many 150w ceramic heat emitters would it take per box?

Just looking for some info on these things.

Steve

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
How many tort's how big are they ? I like those heat panels I think they cover more space but I use both guess it all depends on your layout

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
It would depend on the temps in the room to begin with...but I would imagine at least 3 (at least one should be over their moist substrate and another over their basking spot)...and NO nightlights! ;)

Stev0623

5 Year Member
Thanks dean Ill look into it.

My 3 heat lamps keep it around 80ish, my concern is they are lacking a natural photo period when i have to leave the lights on

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Stev0623 said:

My 3 heat lamps keep it around 80ish, my concern is they are lacking a natural photo period when i have to leave the lights on

Are you using Mercury Vapor Bulbs? They eliminate the need for any fluorescents...and if the sun is not an option...they provide more UVA and UVB than anything else out there! Also, you may need to up the wattage of your bulbs too, because 80ish should be more like 100ish ;)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have a 4*8 warm hide for my leopards, I actually only have one 150wa ceramic heater. Thought the temps in the far corners get to be 75, my adults can handle that just fine. A lot also depends on how well your insulation is. I have a second fixture, but I didn't use it at all last year and it looks to be the same this year.

Stev0623

5 Year Member
DeanS said:
Stev0623 said:

Are you using Mercury Vapor Bulbs? They eliminate the need for any fluorescents...and if the sun is not an option...they provide more UVA and UVB than anything else out there! Also, you may need to up the wattage of your bulbs too, because 80ish should be more

Its 80ish in the shade side. I just checked znd it was 86 under the lights and 73 in the shade. Not bad for night and 45 deg outside.

During the day, the temps are good

M

Maggie Cummings

You mentioned a photo period, are you not turning off the lights at night?

Stev0623

5 Year Member
Most nights their pen is insulated enough that I leave them off, however the past few nights have been really cold and Ive had to leave them on. Thats why Im asking about the CHEs.

I purchased two radiant heaters Im going to install tmmrw, should keep it nice and warm without the lights.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I have a question regarding the best type of clamp lamp for a ceramic heat emitter. Each of my two Russian tortoises has its own separate 54-gallon tub for a home, and each one has a separate 150-Watt ceramic heat emitter at one end of the pen. I keep the hot spot between 90-95 degree Fahrenheit, and I keep the ambient temperature elsewhere in the 70's. At night, I let the temperature drop as low as 60, since I've read that is good for Russians (they are a northern grassland species). As for my equipment, I use a standard 150-W, black clamp lamp to house my ceramic heat emitter. However, I have seen wire clamp lamps on the market, that supposedly prevent "back heat," and are specifically made for ceramic heat emitters. My question is this: does it matter what kind of clamp lamp I use with a ceramic heat emitter? Can I use the same black ones you would use with incandescent bulbs, or would it be better to switch to a wire one? Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with these products that you can share with me? Thanks.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I don't have any experience with "back heat" but since I've had my CHE I've removed the housing altogether. It's straight bulb to ballast. Just don't get your arm near that thing! haha

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
FernandoM said:
I don't have any experience with "back heat" but since I've had my CHE I've removed the housing altogether. It's straight bulb to ballast. Just don't get your arm near that thing! haha

LOL ... Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of with a more "bare" arrangement. I think my black clamp lamps are working well. However, the ceramic heat emitter seems to take a long time to heat up, and seems quite dependent on the ambient temperature to get the right (90-95) temperature. I keep moving the suspensor arm they're attached to up and down. Will I eventually be able to find the right height, or will it always depend on what the weather is doing that day?

Status
Not open for further replies.