Cauliflower leaves??

Keli

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
Can russian tortoises have a few left over cauliflower leaves please?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Welcome I see you are a first time poster. A great place to always check is TheTortoiseTable....

here is what it says....
  • Common Name: Cauliflower
  • Latin Name: Brassica oleracea (Botrytis Group)
  • Family Name: Brassicaceae/Cruciferae
Like other members of the Brassicaceae family, Cauliflower contains goitrogens that can interfere with thyroid activity and could damage the liver and kidneys. Therefore, although Cauliflower is not actually toxic, we would advise you not to feed it to your tortoise (and this advice applies to leaves of the plant as well as the actual head of Cauliflower).

The link - https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=623&c=8#.X5W8WC1q2hA

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

The Tortoise Table is found extremely conservative by some; not all users rely on it. I’m one of those people.

Russians eat a fair amount of brassicas in the wild; I feed different types to my Russian regularly. That said, there is never any reason to food you’re uncomfortable with, especially as a new owner.

Keli

Essex
Greetings. Welcome I see you are a first time poster. A great place to always check is TheTortoiseTable....

here is what it says....
  • Common Name: Cauliflower
  • Latin Name: Brassica oleracea (Botrytis Group)
  • Family Name: Brassicaceae/Cruciferae
Like other members of the Brassicaceae family, Cauliflower contains goitrogens that can interfere with thyroid activity and could damage the liver and kidneys. Therefore, although Cauliflower is not actually toxic, we would advise you not to feed it to your tortoise (and this advice applies to leaves of the plant as well as the actual head of Cauliflower).

The link - https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=623&c=8#.X5W8WC1q2hA
Thank you so much
Yes I’m very new to this but already adore my year old Russian we have called Melvin
Thank you for advice

Keli

Essex
Welcome!

The Tortoise Table is found extremely conservative by some; not all users rely on it. I’m one of those people.

Russians eat a fair amount of brassicas in the wild; I feed different types to my Russian regularly. That said, there is never any reason to food you’re uncomfortable with, especially as a new owner.
Thanks Rosemary
It is lovely to have people you can ask for advice as lots of information on the internet is contradicting
Thanks for your time
Keli

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Food information for tortoises is just crazy on the internet.

”Feed a varied diet” is the best thing you will ever learn; from there we all have to feel our way a bit while we get comfortable. I’m very open about what I’ll feed my Russian now but I sure didn’t start that way.