Caught in the act with scissors in hand!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
My boss came in early this morning and caught me out on the lawn cutting the tall grass and putting it into a grocery bag. He just shook his head and walked into the warehouse. LOL...
I guess only a tortoise lover would understand.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
That's awesome [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] totally sounds like something I would do. Here's a story you would appreciate. When I lived in an apartment and my torts where younger, they loved to munch on the grass the apartment complex had growing, so I would go around to different patches and cut it. Well, it gotten pretty bad. It turned out that my complex was being shown off to the upper management one day and they did really well except they got hit on the appearance on the lawn because it was really "patchy" [FLUSHED FACE][FLUSHED FACE] hmm.. I wonder. The poor lawn guys couldn't figure out why the pattern was so random [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
lol....I have places where the air conditioners drip that grow AWESOME patches of dandelion and since the water is cold, they grow almost year round even in the hottest parts of summer. I get busted every week picking dandelion leaves and flowers right next to people's patios. I think most of my close in neighbors are use to it, but I am a big bald guy with a huge beard so I think some of them have extra security around the sliding glass doors! The grass in the next block is also better so there are times I can be found sitting in the shade with a pair of scissors and a mixing bowl. Oh, and I am often out on the front yard when the sun is up with 7 torts crawling all around in their play pens. I am for sure the wierd guy in the complex!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Well, I go around my neighborhood looking for cactus fruit which is in season now. I knock on doors asking permission to pick these purple prickliers, and homeowners just laugh and say you can take them all if you can:p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
AZtortMom said:
That's awesome [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] totally sounds like something I would do. Here's a story you would appreciate. When I lived in an apartment and my torts where younger, they loved to munch on the grass the apartment complex had growing, so I would go around to different patches and cut it. Well, it gotten pretty bad. It turned out that my complex was being shown off to the upper management one day and they did really well except they got hit on the appearance on the lawn because it was really "patchy" [FLUSHED FACE][FLUSHED FACE] hmm.. I wonder. The poor lawn guys couldn't figure out why the pattern was so random [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

:D This is funny!! :D

sibi said:
Well, I go around my neighborhood looking for cactus fruit which is in season now. I knock on doors asking permission to pick these purple prickliers, and homeowners just laugh and say you can take them all if you can:p

Okay, a bit jealous. :D I think the folks in the area have all decided I was crazy long ago, so seeing me out picking weeds is no big deal. They may up my craziness level a notch when they see me going for those dandelion seed heads. :D I am sure knowledge of why I am doing this is getting passed around. One of the village board members made a comment about my great grape crop. I let her know those grapes were free for the picking, I only want and use the leaves.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
LOL....I would love to have somewhere to plant grapes! I am buying some Plantain and Mulberry seeds from the guy that Cowboy Ken recommended on ebay. I hope to get the Mulberry trees started in pots indoors over the winter and then plant them at the edge of my apartment so nobody notices them. The plantain I will plant in a secret garden on the back of my apartment. The maintenance guy has a prize chicken and comes by the say hello to my outdoor torts all the time so he understands and does not "report" me. I think the apartment manager knows as well but since it makes the property look nicer, she doesn't say anything either.

Oh, and Kroger sells cactus fruit now. Can Sulcatas and Leopards have it and if so, how often? Mine are only about 6 months old.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Saleama said:
My boss came in early this morning and caught me out on the lawn cutting the tall grass and putting it into a grocery bag. He just shook his head and walked into the warehouse. LOL...
I guess only a tortoise lover would understand.

Now really trip him out and leave a pack of Zig Zags next to the coffee pot .......:p

Great story .....and sounds like a cool boss!.....I would have fired your butt!.......well ...unless your were cutting enough for the two of us!:D

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
LOL! This thread is hilarious.
So far my neighbors have only spotted me sitting in my front yard staring into a wash bucket. I'm sure they think I'm insane...whatev's.
But now that I am becoming a leopard keeper the need for various vegetation could really make the neighbors wonder about my sanity. Hahaha. We have green belt that runs around and through my neighborhood that I plan to use for picking cactus...oh yes, they will be scratching their heads hahaha.
They've already caught me coming out of the woods with a pile of flat rocks for my boxies turtle cave. Teehee

ForestExotics

10 Year Member!
USA
Re: RE: Caught in the act with scissors in hand!

Saleama said:
LOL....I would love to have somewhere to plant grapes! I am buying some Plantain and Mulberry seeds from the guy that Cowboy Ken recommended on ebay. I hope to get the Mulberry trees started in pots indoors over the winter and then plant them at the edge of my apartment so nobody notices them. The plantain I will plant in a secret garden on the back of my apartment. The maintenance guy has a prize chicken and comes by the say hello to my outdoor torts all the time so he understands and does not "report" me. I think the apartment manager knows as well but since it makes the property look nicer, she doesn't say anything either.

Oh, and Kroger sells cactus fruit now. Can Sulcatas and Leopards have it and if so, how often? Mine are only about 6 months old.

In my new home I lucked out. Theres a mulberry tree right behind my fence and the branches stick out and over and into my side of the yard.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
We have landscaped areas with tons of river rocks around our warehouse. I carry them off one coffee can at a time in the hopes I will get enough to scape the outside of my Russian Garden. I would buy them but I can't find them in manageable sized bags anywhere, at least not this kind. I also do not have a storage shed so my neighbors often get treated to whatever lumber I find and don't use right away. Right now I have about 6 4 x 2 sheets of plexi, covered in stickers, that I pulled out of the dumpster and a bunch of 2 x 4's sitting on my front porch. Luckily, I only have 1 neighbor that has to see it and she loves the torts so it isn't an issue.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Is this where I would confess to having taken a few nice rocks home with me from my travels from various parking lot islands? :D I have a collection of things I have picked up and have sitting in the garage waiting for me to get a chance to use them in the enclosures. :D

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Jacqui said:
Is this where I would confess to having taken a few nice rocks home with me from my travels from various parking lot islands? :D I have a collection of things I have picked up and have sitting in the garage waiting for me to get a chance to use them in the enclosures. :D

We get empty crates at work that get thrown in the trash. They range in size from 8 x 4 to 5 x 3 about 2 feet high and some of them are insolated AND they have lids! They make GREAT raised gardens and AWESOME tortoise tables/outdoor play pens. It makes me sick to throw them out but I don't have any more room for them at my apartment!

Oh, and who here would totally harvest plants from industrial park landscaping if you knew they didn't use insecticides in them? Not saying I would, but every time I drive by I think to myself, my Torts would eat that or, my Boxies would love to hide in that!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Saleama said:
We get empty crates at work that get thrown in the trash. They range in size from 8 x 4 to 5 x 3 about 2 feet high and some of them are insolated AND they have lids! They make GREAT raised gardens and AWESOME tortoise tables/outdoor play pens. It makes me sick to throw them out but I don't have any more room for them at my apartment!

Oh, and who here would totally harvest plants from industrial park landscaping if you knew they didn't use insecticides in them? Not saying I would, but every time I drive by I think to myself, my Torts would eat that or, my Boxies would love to hide in that!

I wish I lived near you, I could make use of some of those.

I am always driving by some place and thinking, "Now my tortoises would love that...". In CA there was a vineyard we would drive by who has a huge huge huge cactus patch. It grew along the fence line and some had grown out of the fence. I was always so tempted to stop and get some.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I bet they wouldn't mind. The thing about cactus, the more you chop off of them, the more they will grow. My brother had a baby prickly pear in his yard that he forgot about until he ran it over with the lawn mower. Now hes has dozens of slightly smaller baby cacti! I wish more people lived closer as well. I HATE throwing these things away. I am going to start selling them through my work very soon but I don't think many people will buy them. It is such a waste.

Oh, and can I feed my Sullys cactus fruit? I know my Leos and Russians can have it, but wasn't sure about the Sullys. They LOVE the pads but hate Aloe Vera.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yep my neighbor pokes fun of me to . I cut my grass and bail it up with my home made baler. It makes a small bail maybe 12"\ 6"\6". Not only that but I will walk up and down the street with a bread bag cutting weeds .

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
mike taylor said:
Yep my neighbor pokes fun of me to . I cut my grass and bail it up with my home made baler. It makes a small bail maybe 12"\ 6"\6". Not only that but I will walk up and down the street with a bread bag cutting weeds .

I love your little baler. :D

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Still waiting for the plans or the link to that little bailer! wink wink...

Just looked it up. Looks like something I would never be able to build! LOL...

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Saleama said:
Still waiting for the plans or the link to that little bailer! wink wink...

Just looked it up. Looks like something I would never be able to build! LOL...

That's awesome ;)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
mike taylor said:

You do know that if you built and sold these you could sell at least a dozen on the first day, right? I know I would buy one for sure and I don't even have a lawn to mow to get the grass!