cat food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I was suggested to start using cat food for my red foots protein day, what kind of cat food would need to be used? and for how long

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I really don't know. When mine was about a year old and started to go outside I stopped giving protein once a week, and now just give it rarely, because I see he finds slugs and worms in the garden.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Cat food is one option for protein for Red-foot and similar tortoises. Many breeders like it because it is cost-effective and stores well. It also has added vitamins, which helps when it is difficult to offer a varied diet.

You should use a decent quality cat food designed to be low-fat or easily digestible. Dry is the cheapest, but moist or canned is OK as well as long as there is not a lot of gravy or other fats. Quite honestly, many keepers use dog food as well- there is not a lot of difference between the two in many cases- especially if it is only a rather small part of the overall diet.

There are other options for protein- I like using live worms, bugs, and larvae when possible (although use mealworms very sparingly- the shells are hard to digest.) Cooked chicken, hard-boiled egg, organ meats, oily fish, etc. can also be used. Some here have used elk meat!

How often is hard to answer for sure. There is not a lot of evidence that captive Red-foots on a decent diet NEED meat protein so many experts just recommend that it be offered occasionally- almost like a treat. If you choose to do it weekly, keep the portions small.

Kinda sounds like the advice most nutritionists give about meat, huh?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I'm the one who uses elk meat. :D They love it. ;) Madkins I've always wondered why do you say cooked chicken why not raw? Just wondering. :) Dale would not touch cat food when I got him (very picky Cherryhead that I have here), so I had to find something else. I have given them chicken and egg, but they seem to like the elk meat the best. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm thinking because of salmonella, Candy. Don't tell anyone, but I use uncooked chicken.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Candy said:
I'm the one who uses elk meat. :D They love it. ;) Madkins I've always wondered why do you say cooked chicken why not raw? Just wondering. :) Dale would not touch cat food when I got him (very picky Cherryhead that I have here), so I had to find something else. I have given them chicken and egg, but they seem to like the elk meat the best. :)

Candy, where do you get Elk meat? Is it in a can...brand name? I give venison to my boxies a few weeks before hibernation....just wondering if it would be good for the Cherries too.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I buy mine from a butcher in La Crescenta, it's the same place that I buy my raw dog food for my dogs. I just buy 1 pound and freeze it and take it out as needed. I only give them protein about once a month to tell you the truth, sometimes more if I don't forget. :( Dale sometimes doesn't even finish it when I give it to him, but the babies usually do. :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
@Candy- re: cooked chicken? My main concern is that uncooked chicken can carry parasites (very rarely apparently) and various diseases from the processing/handling. Salmonella is not a big worry for me, but some of the other bacteria worry me more. Cooking also gets rid of at least a little of the fat.

I doubt there is a significant health difference for our guys if the chicken is cooked or not. I guess it is more of a verbal 'tic' than anything else.

Good catch!

I am always fascinated by the variations in what our guys eat and don't eat compared to other peoples! My new group of 4 is a lot pickier than my older guys were.

Status
Not open for further replies.