Carroll's new pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

carliedash

5 Year Member
My one year old Russian, Carroll, is enjoying his custom made swimming pool! ImageUploadedByTortForum1379080230.915133.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1379080242.144341.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That's not a Russian. Sorry.

Also, while that bowl looks really cool, and its obvious someone spent some time making it, it is not suitable for a tortoise. They can easily flip upside down in something with tall sides and so high above the substrate. You need something with low sides that you can sink into the substrate. Terra cotta plant saucers work the best. That bowl would be great for a snake or lizard though.

I don't want to bum you out, but if you found your tortoise upside down in, or next to that bowl, or if your tortoise just avoids the bowl and doesn't drink, THAT would be a real bummer.

carliedash

5 Year Member
The sides are less than an inch tall, about the same height as the sides of a terra cotta saucer. And it is not glazed so it does not hold standing water very long- purposefully so there is not standing water left in it when it is unattended.

You say he is not a Russian? That's news to me! What species do you suppose he is?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its either one of the many greeks, Testudo gracea, or an eastern herrmanns, Testudo hermanni boettgeri. I'm terrible at discerning the difference between the two sometimes and there is a lot of variability and similarity in their appearances. I have 20 young russians though, so I am 100% certain that it is not a russian.

Your further description of the water bowl makes me find it even less suitable. I don't wish to argue or upset you. Just offering some constructive criticism and letting you know that I don't think it is suitable for your tortoise. I would not use it for any of mine, even though it looks very nice. If it held water, it would be great for my blue tongue skink.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Carlie:

The thing about those type of waterer is the straight sides. When a baby tortoise tries to climb in and out, they sometimes get too straight up and down, lose their 'center', and topple over backwards. With a plant saucer, the sides are angled so the baby never has to get his body straight up and down to get out. Then you sink it down into the substrate so he doesn't have to climb to get in, he just steps in.

I'm goin' for Hermann's.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Cute tort, but I have to agree with Tom: Not a Russian. The water bowl might be a safety issue, as well. It's ok for short, supervised soaks, but I wouldn't keep it in there full time. Better to be safe than sorry, right?

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

carliedash

5 Year Member
I'm glad I know that he's not a Russian! Thanks for the tips about the bowl as well. I will limit its use to when I am supervising

Just flipped through photos on the Hermann's thread and I agree with you all. I cannot believe I was wrong about his species for so long! I should not have simply "taken the pet store's word" for it. Thanks so much for the help.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I should not have simply "taken the pet store's word" for it.

Alot of time a clerk is nor educated in a variety of tort species and I have seen greeks/hermanns/russians all housed together in pet stops...so perhaps the clerk read a sign and did not realize there may have been other species at one time ???who knows, happy you are now in the know...:D

Artsy bowl and lovely tort by the way...if you mad the bowl then you likely could easily whip up another with more gradual sides and full ramp all the way around????

if you mad the bowl

Well, likely "mad" was not what I was going for...perhaps "made" would be more like it....lol :p

carliedash

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Artsy bowl and lovely tort by the way...if you mad the bowl then you likely could easily whip up another with more gradual sides and full ramp all the way around????

if you mad the bowl

Well, likely "mad" was not what I was going for...perhaps "made" would be more like it....lol :p

Yes I think I just might now that I have a better Idea of the features it needs

Thanks!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.