Care sheet

tortoisetime565

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Does anyone have a care sheet for an Aldabra? I am trying to study up so I can buy one in the next year or so. :) I've read basics. But I would like to view others opinions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's not much about the Aldabran tortoise. Here's a link to an article that was printed in Reptiles magazine a while back:

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Turtles-Tortoises/Aldabra-Tortoise/

I have a sheet of paper with info on it from a gal at the Oklahoma zoo, but it would take me too long to type it in here. I'll try to type it into the computer when I get a chance, and I'll put it up under the "Important Threads" in the Aldabran section. (Don't hold your breath)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Greg, ALDABRAMAN would be the best to learn from. His, being housed in Florida does very well with the high humidity there. I would guess that and daily soakings, lots of room for exercise and as much natural grazing would all be recommended. Hopefully, he will chime in here and fill in what I may have missed. I got my info from reading his many threads and enjoying his beautiful pics.

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
He is actually who I will buy one from when I get the money. Maybe even two. But I don't want to buy one for a while. I want to have a vast knowledge and understanding. I also want to have money left when I buy them. So I am going to probably wait a year or so. I also want to get my torts situated. We just moved so I want them to be comfortable.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I don't know the first thing about aldabras, but I just wanted to say mad props for doing serious homework before you acquire your future babies. I'm sure with your vast knowledge and understanding, you will be an awesome tortoise parent [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH][TURTLE] they sure are amazing creatures!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Yvonne G said:
There's not much about the Aldabran tortoise.

* true, much is so generic and basic!

Barista5261 said:
I just wanted to say mad props for doing serious homework before you acquire your future babies.

* Fantastic!

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Thank you all! I always try and research my torts! I did research for a year and a half before I bought my sulcata. Then about a year for my redfoot. My Russians were both gifts but you bet I read a bunch of stuff as soon as I got them. I want an Aldabra but I want to know I have everything. I for sure will have room because of our new backyard. But I want to know about diet. And lighting. Basking spots. Everything I can. @yvonne I actually live in Oklahoma. I don't recall having any aldabras at our foo. We have a few galapagos. (Portly enclosed) a 3 ft fence and kids are always touching the tortoises and throwing stuff in their enclosure. And there is not really any plants in their cage either. But I will keep an eye out for your care sheet. :)

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
I'm no expert but I did a lot if research before I got my Aldabra- The biggest " problem" if you wan to call it that... is the climate where you live. Keeping them warm during the night and basically all fall/winter/spring will becomes more complex as the animal gets larger.
If you have the $$$ you are way ahead of the game as well. Heating bills are gonna be high. Also figure out a backup heating plan in case you lose electricity, I don't know how cold an aldabra can get- I'd never let a small one get cooler than 75F (Aldabra island rarely gets cooler than 65F)
Indoors you should be able to regulate the humidity very well- Indoors and at night I'd recommend using the "closed chamber" method mentioned here in the forums. Being able to soak up moisture thru the skin is most likely very helpful to them. Even in the high humidity here in south Florida, my aldabra drinks water daily and it's skin tends to look "dry" after just a few minutes in the sun. In the wild the small ones spend a lot of time sitting in and around tall grasses and vegetation which is wet with dew most mornings. The big ones spend hours soaking in mud holes.

Also keep in mind these animals wander and roam large areas each day looking for food, their bodies are designed for a lot of low impact exercise (walking- sniffing something- walking some more- sniffing something- taking a bite of something- walking some more), without it they get joint/muscle problems and also issues with digestion. Gotta give them lots of space with food placed here and there in order to encourage browsing type activities all day. Eating a huge pile of food in one place tends to make them want to go sleep the rest of the day. This is likely not good for them in the long run.
Of course they need access to full sun and FULL SHADE all day long. After 10 min in the sun my aldabras shell is already around 95F - you must make sure they can get out of the sun to cool off if necessary.
Everyone seems to know about the diet of tortoises being widely varied. Aldabras will eat just about anything, but you should avoid fruits and stick to a variety of leafy greens and grasses... grasses should make up the majority. My aldabra is small and does not like grasses, but I trick it into eating them by shredding them and putting the shreds on the greens and weeds he does like.
Big aldabras will eat hay which makes things easier, but the little ones don't usually like it - plus it can dehydrate them and/or cause impaction problems in their digestive system. You could plant some cattle grazing seed mix and that would likely provide a good variety of grass and weeds, there are also people which sell seed mixes to specifically grow for tortoise food.
There's a lot of info on the web but these forums are a great resource for real would advice/experience. Do your research. I've said it here before and it is the truth. If I didn't live here in a sub-tropical climate where they are outside almost 100% of the time I would not keep aldabras (or sulcatas) because the environmental needs would be too much physical work and cost too much $$$ to keep the animals in a way I consider "properly", but that is just how those things fit into my life.
Good luck out there.
-Jeff