Care Sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

zgoldsmith23

5 Year Member
Hey guys, after researching online, I cannot seem to find a decent care sheet on Manourias. It's quite annoying. I know they are a more tropical species with HIGH humidity and lower temperatures (80sF). However, I am a little puzzled when people recommend they be kept in lower light levels. Since I must keep the tortoises indoors during the winter months, I use white heat lights with UVB Fluorescent tubes. I suppose I could eliminate the white heat lights and switch to Ceramic Heat Emitters but still, I would have the UVB bulb. What do you guys recommend? What kind of foods do you guys feed your Manourias? Lastly, what plants should I plant inside the enclosure?

Thanks so much,
ZG

Viva la Tortoise!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You could combine the care shown for box turtles and redfoot tortoises. Except for a yearling, my Manouria live outside year round. Their area is so over planted that they really have to search for a spot to find any sun to sit in. They love the water and are quite happy sitting in it all night or all day. They are more cold hardy than most tortoises. Two nights ago two of my 12 year olds knocked down their door and spent the night outside in a corner. The temp that night was 33 degrees. No ill effects. I have a 100 watt T-Rex UV spot shining half off/half on a corner of my little yearling's habitat. For animal protein I feed the same dry cat food that Terry Kilgore recommends on his redfoot care sheet. I use it once a week. Sometimes I'll give them hard boiled eggs, shell and all instead of the cat food. They will eat grass if they're very hungry, but they prefer broad-leaf weeds and plants. They will eat a young banana tree, stem and all, then dig up the roots and eat the roots. They eat plants that are on the toxic lists. If you have access to collocasia or allocasia, these are a staple in their homeland. They are very prehistoric, and slow-moving, but they are smart enough to know where to look for slugs, tipping over logs and plant pots.

Wish I could help you more for indoors, but as soon as they're big enough to not be carried away by a bird, mine go outside and stay there. I forget to say that my little yearling's tub is sitting on one of these:

http://www.ken-bar.com/seed.html

I have her on cypress mulch that I keep moistened. She has a plastic flower pot cut in half to hide in and the pot is over the heat mat. She never comes out except to eat. Then she goes back in. No wandering, no digging. Just hide and eat.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I am so glad you mentioned the "hide and eat". I'm new to the Manouria, and that's all my 2 year old does. And I had no idea the temp could drop that low without any negative effects. Looks like he'll be able to go outside in the pen earlier this year when Spring comes and stay out later in the Fall.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wait a moment! Just because they managed to live through a night time of 33 degrees doesn't mean it was good for them. The next morning when I discovered them, I put them on a pig blanket and as soon as they warmed up they went out and ate breakfast. But its not a good idea to let it happen too often. I try to keep the night time temp inside their shed at the very LEAST 60 degrees. But its usually around 65 or 70.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Also there is quite a bit of size difference between her 12 yrs and your 2 yr old. The smaller the tortoise the quicker temperatures effect the animal's core temps and thus cause damage.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Relax people. I know what you meant. I'm just very anal with my Redfoots. If it even dips below 68 at night I bring them in, so having a slightly more cold tolerant species is exciting to me.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D It's not a question of you, it's just that we have learned from past experience to try to close all little holes and make everything very very clear, because otherwise somebody who may only be reading these posts and not even part of the discussion, may not know or think of the difference.

I am glad your good with your Redfoots. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
To answer your question about the lighting...I NEVER EVER in all the years I've been keeping tortoises, bought a UV light until just a month ago. In my opinion, the Manouria can get what they need from their food, and they don't require the harsh UV light.

Because they're black, they're very susceptible to overheating in the sun. I sold two young Manouria to someone in our turtle club many years ago and they didn't have enough shade in the habitat. One of the tortoises overheated and died. The other was pretty sick for a long time, but pulled through. I lost one to over heating too.

The UV light that I have hanging over my yearling Manouria habitat is on the border between two habitats, baby box turtles and the Manouria. It is also about 18" above, not the recommended 12". Then I have half of both bins covered with foil so half of their living space is in the shade.

If you follow a diet for box turtles or redfoot tortoises, then your Manouria will get what it needs from its food and you won't need the UV light.

Status
Not open for further replies.