Status
Not open for further replies.

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bellingham, WA
This is Elliott:
DSC00752.JPG

He's a 5 year old Aussie mix and has been undergoing treatment for cancer. We discovered something was wrong at the beginning of December - he had some pain on his rear right leg while I was brushing him, and the vet found a large mass under his pelvis during his exam. Since then we've been through an exhaustive set of tests and diagnoses: lymphoma, histiosarcoma, and finally carcinoma.

Ell%20tongue.jpg

He had his second round of chemo (doxorubacin) yesterday. The first time around he felt pretty crummy; the antiemetic they sent us home with didn't work well for him and I didn't know what he would and wouldn't eat. This time around I'm better prepared, and he is feeling much better and has a better appetite than before. He was even playing today. Last time, he barely moved for the first couple days following the chemo.

Ell%20face.jpg

We sent a blood sample to the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center for testing, in the hopes of exploring novel treatments which could help him as well as other dogs (and people) with solid tumors. He's such an awesome dog. I've had him for 3 years now after adopting him from the local Humane Society when he was 2. The information on his kennel tag listed his birthday as Dec. 6th, the same as mine. There was no way I couldn't take him home. :)

Ell and me last summer:
Ell%20Lor.jpg

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Awe, I am so sorry to hear about Elliott. I hope they can find something to help him fight this, he is a beautiful dog.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Elliot is a great-looking dog. I'm sending good thoughts your way!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
What a wonderful thing you are doing, trying to save/prolong his life. My prayers and hugs for you and Elliot.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Bone cancer? or a tumor?
If its bone cancer.. go to www.tripawds.org for lots of info and support.
cancer in dogs is getting way too common.. HATE it.. in them cats and everyone!

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Bellingham, WA
Thanks, everyone - it's all so overwhelming. He's a total trooper, though. Never a complaint from him! The vet's office is about his favorite place in the world, so as far as he's concerned the extra visits are great! :D

We really hope something comes from Fred Hutch. They've been working on methods for creating a vaccine developed from the cancerous cells, but since the sick immune system is already exposed to the cells and isn't responding to them, you can't vaccinate the dog (person) without destroying and rebuilding the immune system. Traditionally, a dog (person) with a solid tumor wouldn't be eligible for a bone marrow transplant, as they're reserved for patients with lymphoma/leukemia who have achieved remission. Bone marrow transplants are relatively successful (compared to chemo/surgery/radiation) but Elliott wouldn't qualify. However, they're trying to develop a bone marrow transplant which doesn't require a donor and could work for dogs (people) with solid tumors. The idea is that a vaccine can be created from the cancerous cells, stem cells can be collected from the patient. There is a type of white blood cell called 'suppressor T-cells' (specifically, CD25+ cells due to their response to a particular staining method) which tumors often recruit to protect the cancer and allow it to develop. The suppressor T-cells are supposed to tell the immune system not to attack things that are not a threat, but the tumor uses them to make itself invisible to the immune system by telling the immune system to ignore the tumor. "Move along, nothing to see here." It's very hard to eliminate all these cells from the body, but in theory it shouldn't be so hard to remove them from the sample of stem cells collected from the patient. If that works, they proceed like a bone marrow transplant, using full-body radiation to destroy the immune system completely, suppressor T-cells and all. Then the purified stem cells are given back to the patient, and the patient is vaccinated against their own tumor, so the newly growing immune system develops antibodies and begins to attack the tumor, as it should have been doing all along. They're testing the blood sample we sent in for elevated levels of these hijacked suppressor cells, and if present, will attempt to eliminate them from the sample. If that works our vet is hoping that we can find some funding somewhere to actually try it. He was the first to get a therapeutic bone marrow transplant in a dog. Since then, they've become more common and are considered safe, especially when you consider the alternatives. It's a long shot, and in the end it may not help Elliott, but it could definitely contribute greatly to the pool of knowledge and help future pets (and people).

Sorry, that's a long, complicated description, but I'm destined for a life in biomedical research and find it really fascinating. :)

Laura said:
Bone cancer? or a tumor?
If its bone cancer.. go to www.tripawds.org for lots of info and support.
cancer in dogs is getting way too common.. HATE it.. in them cats and everyone!

It's a carcinoma, a solid mass cancer arising from epithelial (lining) tissues. The pathology report indicates it could have generated within epithelial tissues from either the peri-anal gland or intestinal tissues. It's also very close to the bone, so I suppose it could have originated in the periosteum (the lining surrounding bone tissue) as well. As our vet said, all of us, pets and people alike, are probably going to die of cancer. We've gotten by for decades on really crummy treatments, which are likely to cause cancer themselves. Radiation and chemo are awful.. dogs are lucky in a way; they don't suffer nearly the intensity of ill effects from chemotherapy that humans do, but it's still not pleasant. I hate seeing Elliott not want to eat. He was 20 lbs underweight when he came into the shelter and he's always eaten as though he was starving. This is the first time I've ever seen him walk away from his dish without licking it for 30 seconds to make sure every little trace of food is gone.
Elliott%20hiking.jpg

Elliott%20laughing.jpg
Ell%20forest.jpg

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I am so sorry Elliott is sick :( He is beautiful dog and I am sure he has an amazing personality. I love the picture of you guys. Elliott is in my thoughts and prayers.
Thanks for sharing his story with us, do not hesitate to post more pics, I love looking at them :D

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
I am so sorry! He's in my prayers, he's is such a gorgeous doggie :) I agree with Isa, post as many pictures as you want he's beautiful!

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Bellingham, WA
Well since you guys insist... here are some pics from a hike up at Artist Point, in the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest near where we live.

Mt. Baker is in the background
AP%201.jpg

Enjoying the meltoff
AP%202.jpg

No, he doesn't have a hat.. that's his collapsible water dish. :)
AP%203.jpg

AP%204.jpg

AP%205.jpg

AP%206.jpg

AP%207.jpg
AP%208.jpg

And a few from a trip to Hovander Homestead Park in Ferndale, WA, where he loves all the animals... except the geese and ducks, which have each bitten him on the nose.

Enjoying the fragrance garden:
Ell%20Lor%20Hovander%201.jpg

Tying him to the horse cart:
Ell%20Lor%20Hovander%202.jpg
Ell%20Cart%20Dog.jpg

Nap time!
Ell%20Lor%20Hovander%203.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You have a very nice pictorial keepsake. I especially like the one where he's wearing the hat.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Wow, amazing pics!! I know I already said it but wow, Elliott is beautiful and you are a very good photographer :cool: I love the last pic, you guys look so comfortable and so happy to be with each other :)

Oppss and I forgot, I do not want to be a pain for you but if you have more, do not be shy to post them :D

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Bellingham, WA
Haha, I have tons of pictures. I'm dangerous with a digital camera. Especially since we got a DSLR in June. The dog is the most photogenic member of the family, so there are no shortage of pictures. :)

I'm headed to work, but I'll round some more up later!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
What wonderful people you are to put so much into your pet. I love when people truly treat their animals as family members. I'm so sorry he is sick but it sounds if though you have a vet that has done some research on all of this. My best wishes to you and your family and of course Elliott. What a truly lucky dog he is to have found you. And your pictures are just beautiful. :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Your pictures are absolutely beautiful. I could picture them in a magazine. As I looked at these pictures today, I had to cry. Such a beautiful majestic dog, and what a wonderful life you gave him. This is where everyone should get their animals from.

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Bellingham, WA
Candy said:
What wonderful people you are to put so much into your pet. I love when people truly treat their animals as family members. I'm so sorry he is sick but it sounds if though you have a vet that has done some research on all of this. My best wishes to you and your family and of course Elliott. What a truly lucky dog he is to have found you. And your pictures are just beautiful.

Thank you, and everyone else who has replied. I couldn't let myself do nothing if there were something we could do to help him, or any of the pets. I fully believe that if you aren't prepared to treat an animal as you would any other family member you have no business assuming responsibility for them. I'll go broke making sure he gets the best care. Thankfully, I have a background working in the medical field and in research, and our wonderful vet has been proactive trying to work outside the box to help Elliott. Our last visit he spent about half an hour just explaining this new research he'd been looking into before asking permission to send in the blood sample to Fred Hutch to see if there's any chance they could do something for Ell.

And here are a few more pictures!
DSC00764.JPG
DSC00254%20-%20Copy.JPG

IMG_1228%20-%20Copy.jpg

Ell%20Church%20Mtn.jpg

Catching treats in midair:
Ell%20treat%20catching.jpg

And finally, the picture from the Humane Society webpage that made me fall in love with him:
Elliott%20at%20WHS.jpg

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
So beautiful!!! I ssooo understand you, how can you not fall in love with his cutie face and the adorable look in his eyes :D

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
I wish you and Elliot all the best. He is still young so its worth a shot. Just keep an eye on him while undergoing treatments. Dont let your heart get in the way with whats best for him. I'm sure you wont but feel the need to mention it out of experience. I've lost 2 to cancer. Allie had lymphoma and the 2nd chemo treatment killed her. Of course not all dogs respond so badly to treatments and she was a little older. But wish I would have paid more attention to what "she" wanted. And that was to NOT go in for another treatment .. but I made her because "I" hoped it would help.
The 2nd was my Am Staff, Mikey. He wasnt even 4yrs old and I wasnt given a choice in that one. His was Neurofibrosarcoma ... very aggressive and the tumor grew within his spine so wasnt operable. I had to let him go 2 mos after being DX'd.
Not sure if I would again choose chemo if another of my dogs needed it. It broke my heart to see what that stuff did to my girl.
But in your case ... the type of cancer, your knowledge and apparently your trust in your Vet ... I really hope you get many more quality years with your boy.

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Bellingham, WA
Wirewehear said:
I wish you and Elliot all the best. He is still young so its worth a shot. Just keep an eye on him while undergoing treatments. Dont let your heart get in the way with whats best for him. I'm sure you wont but feel the need to mention it out of experience.

Oh, don't worry. I'm watching his every move. The first round of chemo was a little rough, since we didn't know what to expect - we weren't sure what he would eat, what he wouldn't or what medications worked well for him. He never had to go to the vet for anything aside from annual vaccinations and blood donations (he's been a blood donor for as long as we've had him). He's never sick, and we've never had to medicate him before. The second round of chemo was MUCH easier. He never stopped eating and he was even up and playing during the time when he'd felt the worse before. For us, and for him, it's worth it knowing that he has a chance for a good quality of life for years to come if we treat aggressively and get lucky.

Wirewehear said:
I've lost 2 to cancer. Allie had lymphoma and the 2nd chemo treatment killed her. Of course not all dogs respond so badly to treatments and she was a little older. But wish I would have paid more attention to what "she" wanted. And that was to NOT go in for another treatment .. but I made her because "I" hoped it would help.
The 2nd was my Am Staff, Mikey. He wasnt even 4yrs old and I wasnt given a choice in that one. His was Neurofibrosarcoma ... very aggressive and the tumor grew within his spine so wasnt operable. I had to let him go 2 mos after being DX'd.
Not sure if I would again choose chemo if another of my dogs needed it. It broke my heart to see what that stuff did to my girl.
But in your case ... the type of cancer, your knowledge and apparently your trust in your Vet ... I really hope you get many more quality years with your boy.

I'm sorry to hear about your dogs - it's especially hard when they're so young. I figured that I'd have Elliott for a long time. He's such a healthy dog otherwise. It was a complete surprise when the vet found the tumor. It's obviously a personal choice, but I don't regret the chemo treatments at all. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. He was suffering far more from the symptoms than he is from the chemo. He was in pain and now he's pain free. When we started treatment (we'd been hoping to delay until seeing the oncologist) he started developing edema in his rear leg as the tumor grew. Now that's gone. I do trust my vet to (help) make the best decisions for Elliott. He's really been a great partner in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.