Carapace- hatchling question. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetPete7

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Dakota
More than likely I'm just being anal retentive. . . .but this is bothering me. My leo hatchling is 3 months old- and its carapace from looking straight on- appears lopsided to one side. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. . .I keep trying to look up information via google, but feel like I'm running in circles. ALSO- how hard should the shell be? Do hatchlings have a soft spot like a babies head? His shell doesnt feel soft- but it doesnt feel rock hard either. But its mainly the lopsidedness thats got me discombobulated. . . .help please.

mdkelty

5 Year Member
Michigan
I often hear of shells being lopsided and from what I know babies sometimes have soft shells. The key is proper nutrition. If you know that he is getting a variety of greens etc. and the right supplements, lighting and such the shell will harden and he/she will be healthy.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I wouldn't panic yet. I'm sure it is simply still adjusting. Provide plenty of nutrition and sunlight and it will be fine. :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have an indian star hatchling that has a lopsided shell. I believe it was from being crammed in the egg, as some tortoises are almost folded in half during their time in the egg. I'm not sure if this is something they grow out of, but it doesn't affect the health of the tortoise.

I have had leopards that had soft shells until they were about a year old. Not very soft only the plastron would be somewhat flexible. I have also had some that had rock solid shells all around after a few weeks. It varies from tortoise to tortoise. As has been suggested, if proper nutrition and sunlight / artificial light are offered you should not worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.