Can't figure out which Greek tortoise I have

mikomiko

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hello! I've adopted a 5 year old Greek tortoise and he is the best thing ever. The only problem is when I looked up Greeks they looked nothing like my Tortilla. I know there are many types of Greek tortoises but I was just wondering which specific one he was? I took some pics while I was cleaning his house. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423144816.099299.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423144830.828343.jpg

Thank you guys so much!!!!

mikomiko

New York
Omg is that why I couldn't figure out which "Greek" he was?!? Oh man.

Thank you so much guys I feel so relieved. :D

mikomiko

New York
I also have a 9 month old tortoise as well. His name is Nico! Is he also a Russian??? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423147741.066015.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423147780.204649.jpg

mikomiko

New York
Omg I don't know what's real and what not anymore hahahahah why are they both Russians and different sizes? Is that normal? Tortilla is 6.5 inches and Nico is 5

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's because they're still growing. Nico is probably wild-caught. Tortoises living in harsh conditions grow at differing rates. It looks like, even though he's smaller, that Nico is a bit older than Tortilla, who looks like he may be captive bred. But this is all a guess.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Pet stores lie about the age of their russian tortoises and often say they are babies when they are adult. Males are smaller than females. Age and circumstances also are reflected in their size.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We have a good care sheet for Russian tortoises pinned at the top of our Russian section here on the Forum. This will help you provide the best care for your little guys.

mikomiko

New York
Yes! They are in separate enclosures. I know for a fact Tortilla would make Nico's life a living hell. Tortilla even goes insane to his own reflection. Thank you so much guys for your helpful comments.

I'll be sure to read more about Russian Tortoises :D