CANT DECIDE PLZ HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas Texas BABY!
Okay so I wanted a Russian for months until I found out they burrow and are more boring. So I got to wanting a sulcata. Which one should I get and can you give me some care tips on sulcatas? How much if a difference is there between Russian care and sulcata care (I'm getting a hatchling is that okay for a starter)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There is a very big difference between a Russian and a sulcata. Size, for one. Do you have the outdoor space for a sulcata. They can't live in the house forever. Russians do not have to hibernate, they are not boring, at least not the threads I read about them and they will be a lot less expensive. They are a good starter tortoise, a sulcata is not. See what others also have to say.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Did you also look at a Greek? From what I understand they are a little more hardy than Russians. If it is between a Russian and a Sulcata, I would definitely go with the Russian.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I have never heard Russians are boring! Mine are probably the most active tortoises I have - and very smart. In my opinion, Russians are much easier than sulcatas. Good luck!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Sulcatas get very large (big appetite, big poop, big everything), and eventually need a large area outside, with winter quarters depending on where you live.

Remember, torts are not like dogs or cats, generally. They are fun, and endearing, but not necessarily exciting. They sit in the sun or under a light a lot.

Think about a Hermann's,Greek or Russian, unless you have that kind of room.

Hatchlings can be a bit more difficult to raise, if you are new to torts, but it can be done. Might be better to start with an adult.
It is not usually hard to find them on Craigslist, or there are some good breeders on this forum.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Dont get a hatchling... they are heartbreakers... get one that is at least 2 years old.
Russians are great!
Sulcatas are too. but if you dont have a Huge outdoor area or live where its cold... stick with a russian

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Just do your research before you decide. Yes sulcatas get large, but I love, love mine. There are posts below my signature that you can read. Tells you about sullys. Good luck.

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Dallas Texas BABY!
Thanks for every ones help I just got a 13 weeks old sulcata she's so adorable in the pic I put she was stretching so adorable!!

image-3817893430.png

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Pic didn't go through, I believe.

Glad you found a tortoise, sounds like you have lots of room for your tort to grow!

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Bah! You should've went with the Russian! JK :p enjoy your Sulcata! And make sure to read Tom's threads!!!!!

russian tortoise boy

5 Year Member
North Las Vegas Nevada
i got a 3-5 years old russian and she is active and not boring, russian are best for starters , sulcata grow up to 18 inches or higher if you don't have a big enclosure for your sulcata when she grow up its a problem. how much is she anyways? i got my russian for $30:D

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Dallas Texas BABY!
russian tortoise boy said:
i got a 3-5 years old russian and she is active and not boring, russian are best for starters , sulcata grow up to 18 inches or higher if you don't have a big enclosure for your sulcata when she grow up its a problem. how much is she anyways? i got my russian for $30:D

I got one and do did my brother for 140 and they are very active! The one at the pet store wasnt active and costed more!

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Dallas Texas BABY!
It's alfalfa I use that because if they accidentally eat it it's okay, I have UVB and 65 watt basking light. I put some rocks under the lamps and I made a hill up to the lamps they LOVE to go up and down the hill!! Also I have a half log a perfect size water bowl and food dish. Some people say don't use a water bowl but mine love it for soaking and drinking if your thinking of getting one I kno it's annoying to keep on hearing they will get big so I'll spare ya! They are very active and cute little joys!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.