Can you identify my tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy7

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

My names Sam, I live in england.

Roughly a month ago my mum came across a tortoise at the side of the road being attacked by a fox, luckily, she managed to shoo the fox away before he did any damage, picked him up and popped him in the car.

We have done all the checks, taken him to the vets, he's not micro chipped, and no one has reported him missing as far as we are aware, so we've managed to keep hold of him :)
Which my mum is very happy about seeing as she owned one when she was growing up.

However, we haven't got a clue what species he is, or even how old he might be. We have been feeding him cucumber and giving him plenty of water (even though he just kicks it over lol) and have put him in an inch deep bowl of tepid water several times. But ovbiously, as we don't know his species, we don't know what the best diet is.

I will attach a picture and hopefully someone who knows abit more than me can help!

IMG-20120907-WA000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sammy7

5 Year Member
[split] Hello!

Hi I have a tortoise but am not sure of the species, does anyone know?

His name is herby :)

IMG-20120907-WA000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sam, and welcome to the Forum!

Wow, what a lucky save! I'm not good with the greeks and hermann's tortoises, but he's one or the other. I'm sure someone will come along and help you.

mercurysmom

5 Year Member
Wow his shell is gorgeous. Maybe he's a hermmann? That would make his name appropriate... Lol

Sammy7

5 Year Member
Thank you, that was our best guess, but weren't entirely sure, wish we knew how old he was too, is there anyway of telling roughly?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It's a Greek tortoise subspecies, Testudo gracea ssp.. Not sure of which subspecies. Could you possibly post a photo of the bottom (plastron) and of the top (carapace) from a straight view of each? Also, how long is the tortoise's shell measured in a straight line from front to back at the longest points?

Your tortoise should be fed primarily green leafy foods such as dandelion, mallow, chicory and many, many others. Cucumber is not a good food to be fed on a regular basis. The diet should consist of about 80-85% good qualilty greens. The remainder can be a variety of good quality vegetables. Fruits should be avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.