Can you identify Frank?

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Balto. MD
I believe it to be a female Eastern Box turtle.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Can you help Frank? What species is he?
That is definitely an Ornate Box Turtle rather than an Eastern Box Turtle.

@Yvonne G It doesn't look like the western subspecies to me. If it came from Missouri it is almost certain to be the T. ornata ornata. Here is a range map for both subspecies. Note that the T. o. luteola doesn't occur anywhere close to Missouri:

MAP-T.-ornata-ssp-300x240.jpg

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Looks to be ornate. If the back claws are like the talons of a hawk, rather than splayed more outward, it is a male.

AmberS06

Kansas City, MO
That is definitely an Ornate Box Turtle rather than an Eastern Box Turtle.

@Yvonne G It doesn't look like the western subspecies to me. If it came from Missouri it is almost certain to be the T. ornata ornata. Here is a range map for both subspecies. Note that the T. o. luteola doesn't occur anywhere close to Missouri:

MAP-T.-ornata-ssp-300x240.jpg
I’m not exactly sure where he/she came from. Frankie is a rescue so I’m just wanting to make sure she has exactly what she needs. Thank you so much for all your help!

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I’m not exactly sure where he/she came from. Frankie is a rescue so I’m just wanting to make sure she has exactly what she needs. Thank you so much for all your help!

With box turtles, think "bog" and not "desert".

Wetting down a section of the orchid bark and placing a leaf-pile over it will give him a humid place to go. As someone here once told me "he will love you for it"

good luck, and WELCOME!

jeff