Can u do this???

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
College Station, TX
Not a good idea. Too much risk of passing diseases that are carried by one but may be more risky to the other species.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Their care is very similar, but the rule of thumb is to not mix species from different continents. Its not exactly the same thing, but I liken it to when the Europeans came to this continent bringing diseases that the American Indians had never been exposed to and many of the Indians died. The tortoises from different continents have evolved over the years to live in harmony with the micro-organisms they have in their bodies, but when a tortoise from a different continent comes in contact with those micro-organisms, they MIGHT become ill and die. As more and more people are breeding tortoises, this will eventually become a non-issue, but for right now, there are too many first generation wild caught tortoises in our collections.

Yvonne

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I know many people here in South Florida that keep box turtles with their redfoots. They have not had any issues that I am aware of. It helps that they are both New World, that being said I do not mix species personally. Douglas

Status
Not open for further replies.