5 Year Member
Question:
Should I adopt this RF or pass?
If adopt what precautions should I take to keep
my other torts safe and healthy?

Situation:
We had a RF coming this evening and when the person called
they mentioned one of their torts had an upper respiratory problem
/ illness. And that the RT is not exhibiting any signs of it.
Out of concern for the torts I already, have I put a screeching
halt to the adoption this evening and asked for a day to
ask more experienced folks about taking on a tort that was NOT
showing signs of illness but exposed to illness the last few months.

Their Sulcata has been dealing with an RI of some sort Signs it's exhibition congestion, cough and blowing bubbles from his nose.
Been going on 2 to 3 months maybe longer. When I asked her this evening why she had not taken her Sulcata to a vet, it's a
money issue, I know many of us can relate to that.
In our area vets are very very expensive, a two to three
hour drive over the mountains will cut a vet bill literally
by 1/2 and at times cut it by 2/3.
She has 4 torts and 2 turtles in her household and only the Sulcata
is ill.

What I can do if I adopt:
I can keep the RF's outdoor enclosure approx 50 ft or more away
from other torts. Even as much as 100 ft.
I can use different shoe for when I am in his enclosure.

OK what do you all think, I asked her if I can wait until tomorrow
for me to get some experienced opinions.
I've invited her to this site, she would also appreciate anyone's
opinion on what she should do for her Sulcata.
Thank you:tort:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Yes, of course you can safely adopt the tort....there is not even an indicator that the adoptive tort has been exposed....and if it eventually shows signs of ailment it is a treatable situation....so yes, distance between tort enclosures is good as a normal practice anyways and a different pair of slippies is good as well and hand washing...also while the tort is new to your home you will want to be sure to quarantine the tort anyways....as usual, the newbie should be the last enclosure of the day to be visited anyhooo....:D

Your friends Sulcata; is the sulcata housed indoors? I would suggest increased heat to no less than 80-85 at all times (even night time) also have your friend check the nostrils to assure nothing is clogging/irritating the tort to cause weird breathing...also, is the nasal discharge clear bubbles or is it icky boogery stuff? Is her tort acting normal in all other ways? Active, eating and so on?

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
On phone with her now here are the answers:
Yes Sulcata housed indoors.
Clear nostril discharge.
Eats normally but has been given an appetite enhancer, made by Zilla. In a tube, looks
like brown toothpaste. started that because he was not eating, started it three months ago, Uses
only when showing signs of not wanting to eat. Tort sleeps more than normal. Low activity level,
not real sluggish, just low activity level.

As to exposed, she said her torts have the run of the house. They are not separated by pens nor rooms.
So in my opinion he has in fact been 'exposed'.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
First off :D You can still have a successful adoption with the tort you are looking to take in....as you will do the normal quarantine and will be able to control your contact and control until you are past the first year and by then you will be able to assure its over all condition once it is in a good environment.

She needs to set up a medical enclosure to effectively treat the sulcata...she will want to have the tort in an area that she can control temps and that way she can get a better handle on its health....she will really want to eventually get the tort to a vet if she can not get it to come round...clear bubbles are better than boogey mucus kind...so, she says she has it indoors--how old/large is the tort? How long has she had that tort? Does the tort ever get outside sun time?

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
I'm not sure how big he or she is, I think she mentioned 20 inches and 40 lbs but she is unsure.
I told her I hope it was more than 40 lbs at 20 inches. I've invited her to the forum and will also
send her a link to this conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.