can tortoises eat this stuff?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I'm pretty sure all parts of the Morning Glory plants are toxic for torts. Don't know about the others.
Have you checked out The Tortoise Table? They've even got plant photos to help with identification since plants regularly get called by different names in different areas.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The only one I know is safe there on your list is the wild mustard, but post a pic and a latin name to make sure we are talking about the same thing. I feed what I call "wild mustard" to my guys every year. Its the last weed still alive and green as we get into spring. Everything else is long dead and dried up. They don't seem to love it, but they eat it.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
The only one I know is safe there on your list is the wild mustard, but post a pic and a latin name to make sure we are talking about the same thing. I feed what I call "wild mustard" to my guys every year. Its the last weed still alive and green as we get into spring. Everything else is long dead and dried up. They don't seem to love it, but they eat it.
i don't know its latin name all i know is that it tastes like mustard, i can get some pics.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
i was to lazy to take pictures but here is what it looks like.
images-1.jpeg wildmustard31.jpg images.jpeg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I'm not familiar with the plants in your photos. Our climate here in Louisiana is pretty different from yours, so we may not have those growing here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i was to lazy to take pictures but here is what it looks like.
View attachment 111776 View attachment 111777 View attachment 111778

Yep. That's the one. Let them eat all they want. I use a 5 gallon bucket to feed my herd and this is one of the many weeds tossed in there and mixed in. This weed persists longer than any others into the spring when all other weeds are dying and drying up in the heat, so they see a lot of this one in May and early June. Right now its all mallow and wild grasses. Soon we will get the filaree and fiddle neck going. Fiddle neck is listed as toxic, but its only the seed heads that offer some toxicity. The young leaves are fine. From December to March or April, my torts eat A LOT of mallow and grass.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Yep. That's the one. Let them eat all they want. I use a 5 gallon bucket to feed my herd and this is one of the many weeds tossed in there and mixed in. This weed persists longer than any others into the spring when all other weeds are dying and drying up in the heat, so they see a lot of this one in May and early June. Right now its all mallow and wild grasses. Soon we will get the filaree and fiddle neck going. Fiddle neck is listed as toxic, but its only the seed heads that offer some toxicity. The young leaves are fine. From December to March or April, my torts eat A LOT of mallow and grass.
the mallow in my yard only gets a couple inches high.:( my Russians love mallow

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
Blueberry leaves - NO
Miner's Lettuce - yes, great.
Mustards - yes, in moderation
Morning Glory - NO

Moderators: this thread should probably be moved to Food forum.