Can they coexist

tortcaden

Location (City and/or State)
Fayetteville North Carolima
I have an Eastern box turtle and a Russian male tortoise... we are still trying to tell the gender of the box turtle but if it is a male can I have them live in the same enclosure?

snivloc16

Kansas
Reading other threads if this is the one you got out of the wild. You need to please go return it.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
No they shouldn't coexist.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I didn’t take it from the while but anyway why can’t they coexist

For one thing, they will give each other nasty diseases.
For another, you don’t have the enclosure space.
They also have very different needs, and the Russian would bully it.
You need to RETURN it to the person who found it. You told us in the other thread that it was from the wild.
Put it back.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I can remember how many box turtles I used to see crossing roads, and walking out and about when I was kid about 25 years ago. Box turtles where plentiful and you saw them everywhere. It saddens me now though, that as the years went by, slowly but surely, you don't really see them anymore. Too many of them have been abducted by humans! If you really care about these animals release it where you found it and look into getting a CB one please.

daniellenc

Maryland
I think the main point is one is a turtle and the other a tortoise. They require different day and nighttime temps, different humidity, and a different diet. You can't provide two different environments in one enclosure. Other than that mixing two species is quite dangerous and will only lead to sickness and injury. If this is a wild tort return it to the wild. If you want a box turtle buy one and provide a separate enclosure.

tortcaden

Fayetteville North Carolima
I think the main point is one is a turtle and the other a tortoise. They require different day and nighttime temps, different humidity, and a different diet. You can't provide two different environments in one enclosure. Other than that mixing two species is quite dangerous and will only lead to sickness and injury. If this is a wild tort return it to the wild. If you want a box turtle buy one and provide a separate enclosure.

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have an Eastern box turtle and a Russian male tortoise... we are still trying to tell the gender of the box turtle but if it is a male can I have them live in the same enclosure?
Definitely NOT!!! Russian tortoises come from a completely different continent than the box turtle. Tortoises separated like that have evolved to be able to live with the little pathogens and microorganisms they come into contact with, and have inside their bodies. Bringing those pathogens to a new continent/turtle may cause the turtle to become sick and even dead. Likewise for the Russian. Germs the box turtle has that he lives with peacefully may harm or kill the Russian. Trouble is, it doesn't happen all at once. Turtles and tortoises take a long time to show illness. When one of them dies down the road you will have forgotten what we said here and not realize they died because you mixed species.

Besides that, Russians take a completely different type of care/habitat from the box turtle. Russians come from the steppe, a barren, dry, rocky terrain while box turtles are more moisture-loving, forest-type animals.