Can leopard aldabra nd radiated tortoise live together??

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyblue

5 Year Member
Hi tortoise lover

I am new in keeping tortoise,
I would like to know if i can put them (leopard 27cm, radiated 17cm, Aldabra 35cm) together in one area?? The area is 3m by 2 m grass land

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi skyblue, and welcome to the Forum!

Most of us here in the States don't recommend keeping different species of tortoise together in the same pen.

1. Tortoises that come from different continents have pathogens that they have become "used to" over the years, and they get along with having them inside them with no problems. But when you add a tortoise from a different continent to the mix, those same pathogens might make the other tortoise sick or even dead.

2. The three tortoises you've listed have differing care requirements.

3. As the Aldabran tortoise grows, he will soon be much bigger than the other two species.

Some keepers do mix species, and you see a lot of it in foreign (to us) countries. But I believe it should be left to the more experienced keeper to do so.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Generally not advisable to mix species, for the reasons cited above. Diseases can spread, and bullying can also take place. Some people do mix species, but it's a big risk. The outcome is often not good.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Not a good idea especially when the albabra is going to be 500 lbs while the leopard will be 20 lbs. That only one of the reasons. Its pretty easy to split up a yard or space to give them ttheir own space

skyblue

5 Year Member
Can radiated, leopard nd aldabra live together

Hi guys,
I am new in keeping tortoise
I have leopard, aldabra nd radiated tortoise
Let them together in one place about 3 by 2m
Is this ok?

skyblue

5 Year Member
Thx for the advices guys

Will try to separate them