Can anyone help me? (healthy babies???)

benson1891

Location (City and/or State)
germany
At this look, can anyone tell me these guys are healthy? I did all the health check and the guy with one dot on his carapace unfortunately on 31 december fail out of the box whilst i quarantined him. On the height of around 40cm (15.7 inches). I did all the check, no outside injuries, the carapace and plastron are intact. Anyway i cannot tell whether he would get internal injuries, but 9 days past and he has been still eating and being active normally. Should i bring him to the vet to the check? These guys are 5 months old till today. I appreciate for your help guys.

Attachments

• EE171BF4-3B6C-4F54-8AA2-EBBD4B959A0F.jpeg
    EE171BF4-3B6C-4F54-8AA2-EBBD4B959A0F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As long as he is acting normal he likely is fine.
Be sure to be prepared to house them separately as tortoises should not be housed in pairs
Also be sure to read our care sheet for the most up to date correct info.
They already have pyramiding started which means they were started wrong and they are looking dry in the pic. 80% humidity is needed in their enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
At this look, can anyone tell me these guys are healthy? I did all the health check and the guy with one dot on his carapace unfortunately on 31 december fail out of the box whilst i quarantined him. On the height of around 40cm (15.7 inches). I did all the check, no outside injuries, the carapace and plastron are intact. Anyway i cannot tell whether he would get internal injuries, but 9 days past and he has been still eating and being active normally. Should i bring him to the vet to the check? These guys are 5 months old till today. I appreciate for your help guys.
Hello and welcome. It is unlikely the a fall from 40cm would injure them. They are pretty tough. Most vets do not understand tortoise care and will likely do more harm than good. They should never be housed in pairs.

Start here:

benson1891

germany
As long as he is acting normal he likely is fine.
Be sure to be prepared to house them separately as tortoises should not be housed in pairs
Also be sure to read our care sheet for the most up to date correct info.
They already have pyramiding started which means they were started wrong and they are looking dry in the pic. 80% humidity is needed in their enclosure.
thank you for your response. Yes but the humidity is 80% from the thermometer. Then could it more than pair be possible? Like 3,4?

benson1891

germany
c
Hello and welcome. It is unlikely the a fall from 40cm would injure them. They are pretty tough. Most vets do not understand tortoise care and will likely do more harm than good. They should never be housed in pairs.

Start here:
should i house them more than pair, like 3,4 or 5 together? And what’s the risk when we just house a pair? Sorry for this noob question but im really a newbie

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, a group can work but may also have one or two that needs to be separated out. Only one male to a group of females. Babies can't be sexed so it's a crap shoot on what you're going to get when buying a group of hatchlings. A group also will need a huge space for indoor winter housing and a yard of good size for summer.
Keeping pairs one will be bullied. It's not a if it happens it's a when. It will happen.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Groups work OK if the gender mix is right but it will be a while before you will know the gender for sure. The more you have the bigger the space they need so they can avoid each other when necessary. Bear in mind that the minimum space for the smaller species is 4 x 8 feet - each. (approx 1.22 x 2.45 m)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
c

should i house them more than pair, like 3,4 or 5 together? And what’s the risk when we just house a pair? Sorry for this noob question but im really a newbie
Groups of juveniles usually work, but if you end up with more than one male, you'll have problems as they near maturity.

Click on the thread I linked, and scroll to #9 to get the pair explanation. Or just read the whole thing for lots of helpful info.

benson1891

germany
Yes, a group can work but may also have one or two that needs to be separated out. Only one male to a group of females. Babies can't be sexed so it's a crap shoot on what you're going to get when buying a group of hatchlings. A group also will need a huge space for indoor winter housing and a yard of good size for summer.
Keeping pairs one will be bullied. It's not a if it happens it's a when. It will happen.
thank you in advance for your helpful information. I keep it in mind and next week will build a new enclosure.

Reactions: Tom

benson1891

germany
ai
Groups of juveniles usually work, but if you end up with more than one male, you'll have problems as they near maturity.

Click on the thread I linked, and scroll to #9 to get the pair explanation. Or just read the whole thing for lots of helpful info.
appreciate for your response. Yeah i just read the thread and did observe the behavior of two of them yesterday and it’s really like those informations in the thread, one show his dominance really clearly.

benson1891

germany
Groups work OK if the gender mix is right but it will be a while before you will know the gender for sure. The more you have the bigger the space they need so they can avoid each other when necessary. Bear in mind that the minimum space for the smaller species is 4 x 8 feet - each. (approx 1.22 x 2.45 m)
thank you dude. Yeah i will build a new enclosure next week for those two and separate them. Thank you very much.