Camera?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan
I have a camera set up for my baby Hermann’s tortoise. I set it up before I brought him home and there’s no way I could go without it. In fact, I believe having the camera saved my little guys life. Maybe 2 weeks after I brought him home I was at work and went to check in on him through the camera feed. I had one of those log things you can bend that I was using as a hide at the time. Well, he went up on it and jumped off, and landed on his back. He was not even 30 grams at the time and in his struggle to flip over he ended up still on his back, under his heat lamp and he wasn’t moving. I booted it home as quickly as I could and flipped him over, soaked him and he came back around. Typically I wouldn’t have been home for another 3 hours. If I didn’t have the camera, I believe I would have come home to a dead tortoise that day. It gives me peace of mind and I highly recommend getting one. Even if I’m in a different area of the house, I will turn on the feed and just have it streaming so I can see what he’s up to.

Last edited:

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I have a camera set up for my baby Hermann’s tortoise. I set it up before I brought him home and here’s no way I could go without it. In fact, I believe having the camera saved my little guys life. Maybe 2 weeks after I brought him home I was at work and went to check in on him through the camera feed. I had one of those log things you can bend that I was using as a hide at the time. Well, he went up on it and jumped off, and landed on his back. He was not even 30 grams at the time and in his struggle to flip over he ended up still on his back, under his heat lamp and he wasn’t moving. I booted it home as quickly as I could and flipped him over, soaked him and he came back around. Typically I wouldn’t have been home for another 3 hours. If I didn’t have the camera, I believe I would have come home to a dead tortoise that day. It gives me peace of mind and I highly recommend getting one. Even if I’m in a different area of the house, I will turn on the feed and just have it streaming so I can see what he’s up to.
That just sells it right there! So glad you were able to get there in time! Poor baby!
What camera do you have??

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I have had mine for over a year and it’s no longer sold. It is an off brand one off of Amazon.ca that was around $50. It has night vision, can be set up for motion activation, you can record the feed if you wish, 2 way audio...so I can give him heck remotely when he’s misbehaving ?, pan, tilt...all the usual features those camera seem to have these days. I really think you’ll enjoy having it.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I have had mine for over a year and it’s no longer sold. It is an off brand one off of Amazon.ca that was around $50. It has night vision, can be set up for motion activation, you can record the feed if you wish, 2 way audio...so I can give him heck remotely when he’s misbehaving ?, pan, tilt...all the usual features those camera seem to have these days. I really think you’ll enjoy having it.
That's so cool! But I bet that also helps him get used to your voice faster and not be such a chicken like my baby lol

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Yeah except in the beginning when I was giving him heck while at work there was usually at least one person who would come to my office looking to find out the gossip of who I was talking to. They all know now that I am just talking to my little Dozer. I know...crazy tortoise lady lol. I don’t have my camera in a case. It has surprisingly functioned perfectly even with the high humidity, although testudo doesn’t require as high of humidity as some species do. That could make a difference.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Yeah except in the beginning when I was giving him heck while at work there was usually at least one person who would come to my office looking to find out the gossip of who I was talking to. They all know now that I am just talking to my little Dozer. I know...crazy tortoise lady lol. I don’t have my camera in a case. It has surprisingly functioned perfectly even with the high humidity, although testudo doesn’t require as high of humidity as some species do. That could make a difference.
Yea, I have to have at minimum 80% for my leopard. Still worth a shot though! I'm excited!!

And it's ok! I'm totally going to be a crazy tortoise lady too! How can you know when they are all so dang cute!

turtlebean

Connecticut
Hey all,

I do indeed have a camera set up for my little tortillini! It started out in the kitchen of my house to see who was truly stealing all the snacks at night lol but quickly got relocated when I got Tortillini.

I use a nest cam, I put it on the outside ledge of my enclosure and it works amazing! It’s set up to send notifications to my phone every time motion is detected. From there I can view the livestream off of an app on my phone or on a computer screen. I actually leave the feed going in the corner of my screen all day at work. Quite distracting but in the best way :) Also good for when I wanna check on him and i’m sooo far away (cozy in bed downstairs, truly immovable).

This is a little screenshot off my phone of past footage just to show you what it looks like:55FF7EC5-EF67-4CF1-8136-B24F02119EE2.png
Keep us posted on what you end up getting and as always, post pics of your little one when you get your camera all set up!

-Julia R

SONEAL001

Las Vegas
Hey everyone!
So kind of an odd question, but do any of you have a camera set up to watch your babies? If so, please do tell!

My husband told me hes getting me one so I can peek in whenever i want and I'm kind of excited ? I haven't really ever thought about that, but now I NEED IT lol

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DGR98VQ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

i use the ring stickup camera. Cheaper too 2$ a month cloud storage. Motion. Night vision. Voice. Txt alert for motion. Pretty cool. The the camera watches my outdoor and an indoor enclosure.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
i use the ring stickup camera. Cheaper too 2$ a month cloud storage. Motion. Night vision. Voice. Txt alert for motion. Pretty cool. The the camera watches my outdoor and an indoor enclosure.
Could you possibly post a link? I'm super excited!

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Hey all,

I do indeed have a camera set up for my little tortillini! It started out in the kitchen of my house to see who was truly stealing all the snacks at night lol but quickly got relocated when I got Tortillini.

I use a nest cam, I put it on the outside ledge of my enclosure and it works amazing! It’s set up to send notifications to my phone every time motion is detected. From there I can view the livestream off of an app on my phone or on a computer screen. I actually leave the feed going in the corner of my screen all day at work. Quite distracting but in the best way :) Also good for when I wanna check on him and i’m sooo far away (cozy in bed downstairs, truly immovable).

This is a little screenshot off my phone of past footage just to show you what it looks like:View attachment 292585
Keep us posted on what you end up getting and as always, post pics of your little one when you get your camera all set up!

-Julia R
That's so cool!

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Right on! Glad you got it set up already. The night vision looks great!

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Right on! Glad you got it set up already. The night vision looks great!
Oh I know! I wasn't expecting it to be that good at night! Super excited!!!! I get to be a nosey mama!
If you ask my son I already was hahaha