Calendar Photo Contest Commentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
what does everyone think of eggbert's (page 3 post #40) photo of the "hybrid desert tortoise- african sulcata" ??? i honestly dont think that is genetically possible, and the picture looks like a 100% pure desert tortoise. what does everyone think about this?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
spikethebest said:
what does everyone think of eggbert's (page 3 post #40) photo of the "hybrid desert tortoise- african sulcata" ??? i honestly dont think that is genetically possible, and the picture looks like a 100% pure desert tortoise. what does everyone think about this?
I wonder if a DNA was done on this tort? Gopherus X Geochelone ??

kevantheman35

10 Year Member!
indiana
spikethebest said:
looks interesting. but looks can be deceiving as you know;) anyways as soon as i saw it i started googling hybrid torts

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
spikethebest said:

I also think it is 100% CDT. I have seen many, MANY baby desert tortoises come through the rescue here, and they all look just like Eggbert. I sent an email to Danny to get his opinion about it because, as you all know, Danny IS "the man" where species i.d. is concerned!!

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Minh and PebblesMom, any an other members, sorry to cause you difficulties, but thanks to Josh the Contest is back were it belongs. I promise to try and not repeat (finger crossed, it will never happen again) that mistake again ever. But mind you I said Try !!!:p

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i think i know why eggbert might this its a hybrid... think of this senerio ... you have a male sulcata and a female desert tortoise living in the same area. male sulcatas will hump anything that moves or doesnt move. so the male suclata humps the female desert. however, female desert tortoises have been known to store viable sperm for many years. so even though the male sulcata is taking care of the new hatchling, and paying for it, the female actually had another tortoise's baby. its kinda like the drama you see on jerry springer.

so out pops a desert tortoise, and male sulcata and its human owner thinks its a hybrid, when in fact the female desert tortoise just stored the sperm from a one night stand she had a few years prior.

the end. :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Regarding the Hybrid. In the original thread;http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-1730.html
Itort said:
Itort Wrote:
Welcome. Has this cross been documented DNA wise. I'm sure you could find someone in scientic community that would be very interested. This is a cross across genis (gopherus x geochelone). Keep us posted. Inquireing minds want to know.

Eggbert Responded:
Eggbert said:
Itort,

I spoke with my friends and they did have a herpetologist come to their house after they arrived home to find their patio a mess due to their female digging a nest next to it.

The story...

They have had their female desert tortoise for about 10 years and are unsure of her age since she was given to them almost fully grown. They had an older/larger male sulcata, which they thought was fighting with their female but it was actually constantly trying to mate with her. They separated them about 4 years ago and some time after the female made the mess next to the patio and the herpetologist was called.

The herpetologist told them it was possible for the two to mate and when the first eggs hatched there were 14 baby tortoises. My friend said the female can be fertile for a few years, which I find shocking. The female continued to lay eggs and the number of babies decreased with each subsequent nest dug. Eggbert was 1 of 3 hatchlings and his "birthday" is actually Sept. 10, 2006, which makes Eggbert a year and a half old.

It will be interesting to see what Eggbert's habits are considering his/her parentage.

So Possible? Impossible? Regardless he is a nice looking tort. But I believe the DNA test would be the only way to know with absolute certainty.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Poor Turtle-Face! Get that boy a girl so he can leave the "furniture" alone!! What a cute picture!

Yvonne

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
im voting for chelonologist , that desert tortosie is amazing. He scale pattern is like wall carvings or somthing.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Scott the picture is a hatchling from 2005. :)

There are plenty of people out there that mistake Desert tortoises for sulcatas. :D If they have a very light colored Desert tortoise, I can see where someone would think it was a sulcata. I think you'd find that dad was a light colored Desert tortoise.

Danny

longbeachskunk

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Long Beach Ca.
Most of the pics in the contest are so good! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my little big guy can make it as a calendar boy!

P.S. Josh, my picture is actually bigger than whats posted on the thread I couldn't figure out how to load it up right on here.... just in case ;)

Eggbert

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Wow! I just popped in here and couldn't believe the conversation going on regarding Eggbert.

Crazy1 did post my original explanation given when I first joined the forum.

I have been assured the father was a Sulcata who was MUCH bigger than the mother. Their desert tortoise hibernates each winter and they kept the Sulcata in the house during the winter. It was allowed to roam a portion of the house. When they saw there was no way to stop the male from constantly trying to mate with the female they found a new home for the male.

Since Eggbert is young I am going to wait on the DNA test, but I too would be very interested in verifying the cross.

By the way, there are some amazing tort photos! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Janice: I'd like to see more pictures of "Yellowie". That turtle is absolutely AMAZING!!!

Yvonne

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sussex, WI
Not that I am in a hurry, because I'm indecisive as it is ... but how and when do we vote??? Did I miss that someplace?

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
The voting hasn't started yet. I have to put together the poll this week. Every member will be able to vote for 4 photos.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
josh said:
The voting hasn't started yet. I have to put together the poll this week. Every member will be able to vote for 4 photos.

That will be a great idea. It will be better that just voting for one.

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.