Calcium.

Filip

Hello!

I would like to know about calcium/vitamin supplements for the Hermann's tortoise!

I understand that I use a calcium powder, twice a week? And provide a cuttlefish bone as well.
Would the following be okay: http://puu.sh/kbbJh/ccb13bf7c1.jpg - That's Vetark Calci-Dust.

Secondly, do I need to provide a multi-vitamin, if so, how often do I do this, and which product should I use?

And lastly, what would a good mixture of food be to ensure that they get everything required; for example, dandelion leaves, with bell-peppers, lightly sprinkled with carrots (merely an example, not saying it's a good mix).

Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This is going to vary with the species, sex and age, as well as the diet. No two people are likely to have the same opinion.

With a good weedy diet, a tiny pinch of calcium twice a week should be good, and the cuttle bone offering will really ensure the baby gets what it needs. An adult egg laying female should do well on the same routine. And adult male probably need little or no additional calcium if fed well.

Add a little more calcium if you feed primarily grocery store offerings.

Small amounts of bell pepper or carrot once in a while is ok, but neither should be offered as part of the regular diet. Dandelion leaves are great a couple of times a week as part of a varied diet.

With a good diet, I lie to use a reptile vitamin supplement around once a week. A tiny pinch mixed in with the greens of the day is all you need.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
agreed no more needs to be said

Filip

So just calcium? Does that change if the tortoise is inside?
And no vitamin dustings?
And is there a preferred calcium product?