Calcium Supplementation

Scute Mob

Location (City and/or State)
Eastern CT
My first tortoise will be arriving Tuesday. The last piece of the puzzle I need to finalize is calcium supplementation.
He will be primarily house indoors (40Gallon Tank closed chamber, 10.0 UV, CHE, coco coir bedding, multiple hides). Next year around April-May (Varient CT weather) he may be going outside during the days and coming inside at night.
But for now- he is 5 months old.

What are some calcium supplementation methods used by members? How often does he need small amounts of calcium and how often does it need to have D3? Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When my was young, I used D3 only and just a small pinch 2-3 times a week while inside only. Summer, when he could go out, I did not give calcium on a regular basis at all. Maybe an average of 1-2 small pinches a month. Now,that they are much bigger, I don't give any, they have a big diet variety and they have a cuttlebone bone most of the time. Btw, mine are leopards and a russian

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
My first tortoise will be arriving Tuesday. The last piece of the puzzle I need to finalize is calcium supplementation.
He will be primarily house indoors (40Gallon Tank closed chamber, 10.0 UV, CHE, coco coir bedding, multiple hides). Next year around April-May (Varient CT weather) he may be going outside during the days and coming inside at night.
But for now- he is 5 months old.

What are some calcium supplementation methods used by members? How often does he need small amounts of calcium and how often does it need to have D3? Thank you!
I get my torts calcium from the most natural way I can . I use eggshells after they dry out I run them through a coffee grinder . Company's add salt to everything to make money . I and my torts don't need anymore salt so I make my own .
D3 is only needed when your tort isn't getting enough UV Rays .
And I find if I give my female leopards a little more calcium in the spring . I seem to get one more egg per each time they lay .
Have a great tort day !

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
Hi Grandpa Turtle :D

I really, really like your way of giving calcium. I am already saving my eggshells for my plants and source everything from my local co-op, so I know they are healthy. (My own first RT hatchling is coming tuesday)

As a follow up question to the OP, just to make sure I understand correctly -- you supplement with the eggshells when they are not getting outside time, but if they are getting their required daily UV, no eggshells. So this will be something to add once the weather turns too cold to go out.

Thank you in advance!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi Grandpa Turtle :D

I really, really like your way of giving calcium. I am already saving my eggshells for my plants and source everything from my local co-op, so I know they are healthy. (My own first RT hatchling is coming tuesday)

As a follow up question to the OP, just to make sure I understand correctly -- you supplement with the eggshells when they are not getting outside time, but if they are getting their required daily UV, no eggshells. So this will be something to add once the weather turns too cold to go out.

Thank you in advance!
My torts get a little calcium every other day but I'm feeding 28 leopards and many other torts !
And torts can only absorb calcium if the tort get UV rays to make Vit. D !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Scute Mob

Eastern CT
I like to use a tiny pinch of calcium twice a week for a baby. Too much can be bad. It interferes with the absorption of other needed minerals and trace elements.

What type of 10.0 bulb have you got? The cfl types sometimes burn their eyes.

Have you read these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

The 10.0 bulb I have is the ReptiSun 10.0 Strip UV bulb, not the compact. For the calcium for a baby, do you use calcium with D3? Right now he is getting outside for about 20 minutes a day maximum, but that will end soon as it is getting cold here in CT.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The 10.0 bulb I have is the ReptiSun 10.0 Strip UV bulb, not the compact. For the calcium for a baby, do you use calcium with D3? Right now he is getting outside for about 20 minutes a day maximum, but that will end soon as it is getting cold here in CT.

In your case I would use the calcium with added D3.