Calcium/Protein source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
( this may be moved to "other photos"?.. it is NOT a debatable post )

I grow a portion of their food source in their outdoor enclosure!

Calcium rich 'hibiscus/Rose-of-Sharon' stems, leaves and blooms -

1WhiteHOPPER.jpg

... and the 'protein' source shows up! See him in this White Chiffon bloom above? He moved when I took the close-up.. know what he is???

1aWhiteHOPPER.jpg

He has a buddy/sibling that showed on this 'Sunrays' tropical bloom [ see him top left? ] -

1HopperBLOOM.jpg

He kept moving to hide behind the bloom when I got close in to take his pic.. it was hilarious -

aLILHopper.jpg

LILHopperMOVE.jpg

I doubt he is 1/4" from "toe-to-toe"....... really tiny!

NERD

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Very well done pictures of "calcium sources" Nice job!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Very nice! Wonderful photos!

But, hibiscus flowers have no calcium in them, and the leaves only have 18mg in 100 grams of food- that is very, very, very low. (there is almost no phosphorous, though, so they have a deceptively good Ca: P ratio.) The calyxes (green part behind the flower) are loaded with it- 200mg+ in 100 grams of food, but it takes a lot to make 100 grams.

I cannot find any info on the calcium content of the stems, which might be very good since they are somewhat gritty.

This does not mean that they are not a great food source in other ways- fiber, other minerals and vitamins, moisture, and more.

And you forgot to mention that there is a D3 source as well, for a sweet trifecta! The sunshine growing the flowers.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Very nice pics :) Hermy would go crazy if he saw beautiful flowers like that in front of him :D

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I just love your post Madkins. :D Very nice pictures Terry. Your flowers grow beautifully there in your weather. I take it that you don't know what those insects are either? I was waiting for the answer. ;)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
OMG!!! I hope I'm not being rude...but I'm laughing so hard right now picturing Terry K's face. I can't stop............:D

Thanks Mark.;)

Terry you are such a show off....but, damn, your pictures are so beautiful. Even if I paid thousands of dollars for a camera, I couldn't get those pictures.:D

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
terryo said:
OMG!!! I hope I'm not being rude...but I'm laughing so hard right now picturing Terry K's face. I can't stop............:D

Thanks Mark.;)

Terry you are such a show off....but, damn, your pictures are so beautiful. Even if I paid thousands of dollars for a camera, I couldn't get those pictures.:D

Terry if you could you would see me shaking my head. Why is it that I can't simply post a few pics and possibly stimulate a little imagination combined with a little humor around here.... without the usuals taking issue to everything that I say??? And you wonder why I haven't been around much...?

The pics were to show what a particular insect 'nymph' looks like about to complete their metamorphosis. The emphasis on the title was 'Is this a protein source?'.. not how much or little hibiscus blooms provide calcium. It doesn't matter and I don't really care..... they really like them along with the tons of Rose of Sharon greens they eat on a regular basis this time of year!

Just starting to bloom -

1ROSEofSHARONgrapeleavesR.jpg

Pan left.. and notice the grape vines growing in the foreground that I just 'pruned' for them to eat..... which is why they are on this side of the pen. There are 4 more 'rows' of Rose of Sharon behind what you can see here [ on the Northern side ].. for a total of 44 Rose of Sharon ( ranging from 4' to well over 7' tall ) available in the back yard as a food source and 'canopy'. They seem quite happy -

1ROSEofSHARONgrapeleavesL.jpg

TerryO I've told you that you don't need an expensive camera.. you've already shown that you can take great pics! Besides how many of us can do the Redfoot landscaping like you can???? HUH???

Does anyone besides me know or care to guess what that little "bug" is?

NERD

O.K. - I'll show off a few "Flower" pics just for you TerryO

Candy said:
Redfoot NERD said:
Mark why won't you provide a source for your claims?

NERD

He did it's in this thread.

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-16151.html

Sorry Candy.. nowhere in the only links that would open did it give those numbers about 'calcium' in Hibiscus blooms. If it did.. kindly post it here.

Thank you...

Terry K

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
The insect is some type of grasshopper/katydid type insect ; notice the legs and mouth parts. I have seen these myself and have not been able to put a name to them yet besides that grasshopper thingie.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Beautiful photos, again. You have a real gift for flowers and photography.

Source for calcium levels in hibiscus:
http://www.deerfernfarms.com/Food_Plants.htm

That is not my original source for the info- that site seems to have gone away, but the above site lists actual numbers. The article combines fresh and dry weights, but supports my statement.

Another article that lists numbers, but again does not do it in a way that makes comparisons easy is http://www.anapsid.org/resources/ediblenutrients.html . At least this article mentions sources, although I cannot yet find the data I needed at the source sites.

Since the leaves are not widely used as human food, the research is not as extensive. There is also a problem in which many sources only report the values of the calyx- the part that IS used for humans, which is probably where the plant got the reputation for being high in calcium overall.

I would not have said anything, but the title and OP of the thread suggested that Hibiscus leaves were full of calcium, and that is just not true as far as any numbers I can find state.

As I said earlier, that does not mean they are bad or anything, just not calcium rich.

What really confuses me, Terry, is that you and I have spoke on the phone about the nutritional value of Hibiscus leaves and were in agreement that the leaves and flowers were not the calcium-rich parts of the plant.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Mark...I may be wrong, but I think Terry K. was, in his own words... ("post a few pics and possibly stimulate a little imagination combined with a little humor around here"), injecting a little humor about protien in the Rose of Shanon plant, in the form of a bug.

Terry...I think you are right, as it doesn't matter what kind of camera you have (but it helps). But I don't think I could get that close up of a bug. I couldn't stand it, so today I went out and looked for a bug of some kind...this is the best I could do, without falling into the pond, and it still isn't as close as yours. To keep on topic....this is a good source of calcium too....Maybe we could start a new thread showing close-ups of good sources of calcium, (bugs).:D:D:D

076-2.jpg

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
There ya go TerryO! [ that's also what I meant by 'it is NOT a debatable post ]

Maybe hibiscus blooms are a source of carbs?.. I know they are kinda "sticky" and the beetles this time of year like them also. My right thumb nail is always black from "beetle-juice" when picking leaves and blooms! [ do I need to get anymore graphic? ]

BTW.. I'm pretty sure that is a 'grasshopper' nymph! I've seen a couple later in the year.. and they can jump!!!

You have the 'picture taking' part o.k. Terry, now get creative with the 'composition' part...

Terry K

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm too late. I was going to guess it was some type of grasshopper. I'll check my North American Insect Atlas and get back to you. You guys have some really cool bugs in the South.

Status
Not open for further replies.