Calcium Deficiency in this tortoise?

Bozie

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Hey Team,

A family member of mine got this tortoise earlier this year. They were unaware of brumation in tortoises, and were just going to store the tortoise in a utility room over the winter. The heavy white outlining in the keratin of the shell also makes me think there is a calcium deficiency present. My questions are as follows.

Do you always brumate your tortoises?

Does this photo show signs of a calcium deficiency?

Clark_01.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sulcatas do not brumate. Most species dont. This is also so not the right way to heat this tortoise and this tortoise looks to have MBD, which stands for metabolic bone disease.
Some drastic changes need to be made ASAP and no, do not brumate a species that does not brumate

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
That is a sulcata, a tropical species that needs to be kept warm year round that does not, cannot, and should not brumate. Ideally, it should have an insulated, heated nightbox or shed outside with year long access to a yard to graze in. The back of the shell does seem indented a bit oddly in that photo, but I am not sure if that's from MBD (Metabolic bone disease from lack of calcium or the ability to absorb it (vitamin D3 deficiency)) or something else. The white outline doeasn't have anything to do with calcium, it's just dry new growth or growth lines. When hydrated or moistened, the lines usually go away.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Hey Team,

A family member of mine got this tortoise earlier this year. They were unaware of brumation in tortoises, and were just going to store the tortoise in a utility room over the winter. The heavy white outlining in the keratin of the shell also makes me think there is a calcium deficiency present. My questions are as follows.

View attachment 362461
I don't know, but it certainly knows how to bake.

Bozie

Indiana
Sulcatas do not brumate. Most species dont. This is also so not the right way to heat this tortoise and this tortoise looks to have MBD, which stands for metabolic bone disease.
Some drastic changes need to be made ASAP and no, do not brumate a species that does not brumate
After seeing the replies from yourself and the rest of the team, there seems to be some consensus on a deficiency of some kind. What leads you to the MBD conclusion? I definitely see the indention on the back end of the shell, is there any indication rather that would be from a current issue or a previous deficiency?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
After seeing the replies from yourself and the rest of the team, there seems to be some consensus on a deficiency of some kind. What leads you to the MBD conclusion? I definitely see the indention on the back end of the shell, is there any indication rather that would be from a current issue or a previous deficiency?
Looks to be from a previous deficiency. The shell indentation is what leads us to that, since MBD causes shell deformation, usually some kind of flattening. Likely, he was kept without access to sunlight or without a proper UVB light while young. There isn't anything to do beyond ensuring that his care is adequate now

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, the slanted back shell. That is usually an indication of MBD. Can you post more pictures showing that area better?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get him set up properly, not on the floor of your home. He needs his own place dedicated to just him. He needs proper diet, lighting, heating, substrate and a pinch of calcium added to his food daily for a while and then can be backed off to 3 times a week.

ND135

Maryland
Hey Team,

View attachment 362461
I do not have a sulcata tortoise, so I am no expert, but I can say that this baby should see a veterinarian very soon! Proper heating and proper bedding/substrate are not shown above. A vet. an assess the tort's current condition and give advice for proper care. This little soul looks dehydrated, pyramiding and needs heat from above and maybe even a heat pad on the floor.

What climate do you live in? Is the tortoise kept outside all year?

PLEASE DO NOT leave that sweet little thing in a washroom for the season. This sweetheart should be given consistent care year round with heat, bedding, diet, and love.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I do not have a sulcata tortoise, so I am no expert, but I can say that this baby should see a veterinarian very soon! Proper heating and proper bedding/substrate are not shown above. A vet. an assess the tort's current condition and give advice for proper care. This little soul looks dehydrated, pyramiding and needs heat from above and maybe even a heat pad on the floor.

What climate do you live in? Is the tortoise kept outside all year?

PLEASE DO NOT leave that sweet little thing in a washroom for the season. This sweetheart should be given consistent care year round with heat, bedding, diet, and love.
The OP's info says that they live in Indiana, so it is pretty cold in the winters, which are not all that short, either.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think some more detailed advice is needed here re Sulcata care....@Tom

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If you see this tortoise in person, see if he/she walks on sturdy legs with the body fully off of the ground. Or if he just kind of shuffles along.
MBD also affects leg bones. It's extremely painful. And the damage can not be reversed. Only stopped from getting worse.
The way an animal walks can say a lot about its general health.
Without the correct care, including a good uvb source. Calcium can not be converted.
This tortoise does not belong to me or dwell in my home, so I don't care for it directly. I will definitely pass this information along to the family member that owns him. Thanks everyone for your prompt responses and information.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
This tortoise does not belong to me or dwell in my home, so I don't care for it directly. I will definitely pass this information along to the family member that owns him. Thanks everyone for your prompt responses and information.
Yes, please. This beautiful tortoise deserves to thrive rather than to decline slowly and painfully. Point its owners to this forum, we'll do our best to help sort out all the issues, without offense and judgement.