Cage redux

InvertaHerp

5 Year Member
Questions

1. How can I make a closed chamber out of my 4' by 2' plastic tub?
2.Moisture retaining, good substrate?
3. How can my closed chamber have room for viewing , heat lamps, and repti-glo? (I have heat ropes)
4.How and what to plant?
5. How to construct a humid hide.

Sure I will have more, but here for now. I have had him for a while, but feel bad because I don't feel like I'm living up to my care standards in relation to his needs.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
My neighbor and I got hatchling Sullies from Tom, she asked me the same question.

Her husband cut a window out of the side, and attached plexi glass for viewing.
They used plywood for a lid, with a hole cut in it for the PowerSun, and a CHE is inside at an slight angle for night temps.

They are using peat moss and bark mulch mixture for substraight. Been working well for the past 6 weeks.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Cage redux

InvertaHerp said:
1. How can I make a closed chamber out of my 4' by 2' plastic tub?
2.Moisture retaining, good substrate?
3. How can my closed chamber have room for viewing , heat lamps, and repti-glo? (I have heat ropes)
4.How and what to plant?
5. How to construct a humid hide.

1. Cover the top. Use the lid that the tub came with, a sheet of aluminum foil or make one out of plexiglass.
2. I use plain, untreated top soil. Is cheap and it works. Many use coco coir or cypress mulch.
3. Cut out holes in the top to set your lights on. Or a better idea all together would be to make a cover that would cover the lighting, too.
4. I use fake plants from the 99cents store. Check out the list of edible plants if you want to use real ones.
5. Get a plastic tub a little larger than the tort, cut a hole out for a door and turn it open side down over wet substrate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
InvertaHerp said:
Anybody...................

You have to be patient. Most of our members work during the day. Some members are in different time zones. And remember, this is Saturday morning, a day when a lot of people are out running errands or outside doing yard work.

None of us here on the forum intentionally ignore anyone's posts. When someone who knows the answers comes on and reads it, it will be taken care of.