cactus

DayDreamer

Location (City and/or State)
San Juan PR
are all flat padded big cactus safe for tortoises?
(ill add a picture when i go out later today)
the people next door have a huge cactus and said they wouldnt mind if i take a few cuttings from it. its spineless, and the pads are big and flat. i have not seen it flower since moving here.

is there a tell tale sign of what cacti are good or bad

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're probably seeing an opuntia. It's ok to feed.

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
i think so too i took some pictures when i went to the store and took a closer look at it they have little spines around the ends im almost 100% sure it is a some sort of opuntia but i want to be 150% sure before i give him any lol

IMG_2429.JPG
IMG_2428.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
That's certainly an opuntia. Not all opuntia have flat pads, but that is typical of the genus. The chollas are opuntias of Southern California don't have flat pads, but I doubt any tortoise would eat them.

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
alright thanks guys! glad to hear it is what i thought im going to take a few pads.

how do you get a pad to start rooting? and how much of it should i feed a RT? and how often?

JohnMatthew

10 Year Member!
alright thanks guys! glad to hear it is what i thought im going to take a few pads.

how do you get a pad to start rooting? and how much of it should i feed a RT? and how often?
Let the pad(s) sit out until the cut/break is scabbed over then you just bury the cut/broken part of the pad about 1/3 down in some well draining soil and forget about them. I planted 15-20 pads around my yard this year and most of them are showing new growth already. I don't water or anything, just planted them in various levels of sun(morning, evening, full) and let the rain do my watering. I even pulled one that had curled and was looking bad but the thing had sprouted lots of roots so I stuck it back in the ground. I'm learning as I go but these opuntia seem to do best when left alone.