Cactus

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmc990811

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Merritt Island, Florida
What is the difference between spineless opuntia cactus and spineless prickly pear cactus? I am looking to buy them to plant and grow for my Yoshi.

Not sure if I posted in the right spot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Prickly pear is the common name for genus opuntia. Just be aware that there are many varieties. Some are more "spineless" than others.

morloch

5 Year Member
How often should prickly pear be fed? I give it at least three times a week,

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal

tickle

5 Year Member
Be sure to were gloves even if you c no spines u will pick them out of you're hands for days

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I just experienced the spines in my fingers for the first time.. And I will say, for being spineless, it sure did hurt for a min or two!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Anthony P said:
I just experienced the spines in my fingers for the first time.. And I will say, for being spineless, it sure did hurt for a min or two!

Cool trick someone here turned me onto (don't recall who it was, unfortunately): spread some white glue, like Elmer's, over the area of your fingers with the spines in them, let the glue dry, then feel it off...takes all the tiny, hair-like glochids away with it!

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Terry Allan Hall said:
Cool trick someone here turned me onto (don't recall who it was, unfortunately): spread some white glue, like Elmer's, over the area of your fingers with the spines in them, let the glue dry, then feel it off...takes all the tiny, hair-like glochids away with it!

This seems a cool trick. Spineless cactus, does it really have no spine or very few spine?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Yellow Turtle said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

This seems a cool trick. Spineless cactus, does it really have no spine or very few spine?

No big spines, but a lot of glochids! I grow a few different varieties and my torts love 'em all.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Terry Allan Hall said:
No big spines, but a lot of glochids! I grow a few different varieties and my torts love 'em all.

Yes, that's what I mean. Tiny spines even on spineless ones, I thought at first that spineless supposed to have no spine at all.

My Aldabra loves cactus pads. My radiata only starts eating it recently for a small bite. Forstenii looks like not touching it at all.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Yellow Turtle said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

Yes, that's what I mean. Tiny spines even on spineless ones, I thought at first that spineless supposed to have no spine at all.

Thought so, too...then I handled one w/o gloves... :p

My Aldabra loves cactus pads. My radiata only starts eating it recently for a small bite. Forstenii looks like not touching it at all.

My 4 love it, too, either whole, chopped up and mixed with soaked Red Stick tortoise kibble, or put through the food processor and mixed with dried greens and/or Red Stick, depending on what variety of cactus is on the menu, that day.

One of the varieties I grow has big, thick, tough pads that small tortoises, like the Europeans, find difficult to eat whole, so it goes into the food processor. :cool:

How large are your torts?

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Terry Allan Hall said:
Yellow Turtle said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

Thought so, too...then I handled one w/o gloves... :p

My 4 love it, too, either whole, chopped up and mixed with soaked Red Stick tortoise kibble, or put through the food processor and mixed with dried greens and/or Red Stick, depending on what variety of cactus is on the menu, that day.

One of the varieties I grow has big, thick, tough pads that small tortoises, like the Europeans, find difficult to eat whole, so it goes into the food processor. :cool:

How large are your torts?

Mine are all small ones.
Aldabra 14 cm, radiata 6.5 cm, forsteni 6 cm.
I cut the cactus but not in too small pieces, I just let them chow them.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Tom said:
Prickly pear is the common name for genus opuntia. Just be aware that there are many varieties. Some are more "spineless" than others.

This website does a decent job at showing the diversity of the Opuntia genus. There may be some taxonomy discrepancies (darned if I know!) but I find it very informative and interesting:

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?start=10&genus=Opuntia&species=

Status
Not open for further replies.