cactus treats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So. Cal desert
I was just watering out front and it occurred to me that I get these huge blooms off some of my cactus. Was wondering if it would be okay to feed to the Torts. Or at least the fruit they produce which is similar to the prickly pear fruits. here is a shot of the flower.
DSCN1863.jpg

My neighbor has a front yard full of smooth prickly pear cacti. They sell the fruit at the market as well but with so much of it around I dont see how they make much profit off it. This area also uses lemon, orange and grapefruit trees as ornamental trees and it baffles me when I see how much they sell the citrus for at the market. My own lemon tree literally drops a fully stuffed plastic grocery bag full 'each day' for a month.
Anyhow just wondering ... the cactus is informally called a Pineapple-something. Pretty flower none-the-less

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Cactus fruit is great (although I would feed it less often than the pads as it is sweet, but its the only fruit I'd ever feed to a desert type tort). I am 99% sure the flowers are also great but I haven't seen them mentioned on the forum. Very cool. Its preferable if they are chemical free.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Your tort can eat anything opuntia...pads, fruit (tuna), flowers...you-name-it! Nice bloom by the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.