Cabbage outer leaves?

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mexico
Im talking about the dark green big outer leaves.
Does anyone know if they are good ? and the nutritional value?
As far as I know cabbage is somewhat not good if used often. But what about the outer leaves?

26375650-Pusa-Drum-Head-cabbage-Brassica-oleracea-var-capitata-larger-plants-light-green-outer-leaves-with-pr-Stock-Photo.jpg

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
If you must feed cabbage leave the big leaves to the soil gods because if you just cut the heads of in a week or two you will get little heads to grow from the stocks and feed them !

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
I actually dont grow them, the thing is thst theres a little market place near my house, and they give me all the good left overs for my tortoises.... LOTS of greens and cactus pads. Once in a whike they give me a big bag of cabbage greens, and I do ocasionally feed them, but I want to know if its good at all or if I should just skip them

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I have question I feed my tortoises cabbage daily with lettuce bell pepper kale and they graze my grass patch. I was unaware about the gitrogens probably will it kill them

Not instantly no, however, over time the tortoise can develop health complications (through accumulation of eating the wrong foods over and over) from kidney issues to gout. When that happens such as swelling, weakness of the hind legs and such, that's when the situation can go from serious to can the tortoise bounce back from the expensive vet treatments and possible surgery.

Overall it's just not worth the trouble of risking it, especially considering how openly available flowers, broad leafy weeds, succulents, hay, and grass is to obtain. Online tortoise retailers will just about send these goodies to just about anywhere a person may live. Even frugal people have an assortment of options to obtain these items.

Ccccccccc

Walvis Bay
Not instantly no, however, over time the tortoise can develop health complications (through accumulation of eating the wrong foods over and over) from kidney issues to gout. When that happens such as swelling, weakness of the hind legs and such, that's when the situation can go from serious to can the tortoise bounce back from the expensive vet treatments and possible surgery.

Overall it's just not worth the trouble of risking it, especially considering how openly available flowers, broad leafy weeds, succulents, hay, and grass is to obtain. Online tortoise retailers will just about send these goodies to just about anywhere a person may live. Even frugal people have an assortment of options to obtain these items.
Thank you could steaming remove gitrogens. I live in area where no pellets are available or supplements i have grass patches high in calcium and also how can i increase iodine intake thank you.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Thank you could steaming remove gitrogens. I live in area where no pellets are available or supplements i have grass patches high in calcium and also how can i increase iodine intake thank you.

Steaming does indeed reduce some goitrogens but it also results in some nutrient loss as well. Store bought greens such as kale, collard, and mustard greens should never be the bulk of the diet because they're not fibrous enough to begin with.

I am not familiar with Walvis Bay or South Africa for that matter so I can't specifically help you there. Though being from South Africa, a place with native tortoises of their own, there shouldn't be too much problems procuring the same types of foods tortoise would eat in the wild.

You don't need to increase iodine intake. Tortoise naturally get enough iodine and salt from the foods they eat. Some people like to sprinkle a bit of salt once per week to their tortoises food to ensure they're getting the iodine they need. I personally don't do this. I personally use miner-all and have found that to be enough.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species are you feeding?

Southern Africa has more plant diversity than almost anywhere else on the planet. There are lots of things to offer your tortoises other than grocery store foods, but it will take some time and effort to learn the local plants.

Ccccccccc

Walvis Bay
Steaming does indeed reduce some goitrogens but it also results in some nutrient loss as well. Store bought greens such as kale, collard, and mustard greens should never be the bulk of the diet because they're not fibrous enough to begin with.

I am not familiar with Walvis Bay or South Africa for that matter so I can't specifically help you there. Though being from South Africa, a place with native tortoises of their own, there shouldn't be too much problems procuring the same types of foods tortoise would eat in the wild.

You don't need to increase iodine intake. Tortoise naturally get enough iodine and salt from the foods they eat. Some people like to sprinkle a bit of salt once per week to their tortoises food to ensure they're getting the iodine they need. I personally don't do this. I personally use miner-all and have found that to be enough.
Thank you I have been planning to get some cactus from an area but it is quite far away from walvisbay what plants would recommend for leopard tortoise i alreafy have grass and hibiscus but what else

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you I have been planning to get some cactus from an area but it is quite far away from walvisbay what plants would recommend for leopard tortoise i alreafy have grass and hibiscus but what else
I typed this up for sulcatas, but the Diest for South African leopards is the same.

It would be great if you started a thread in the leopard tortoise section and showed us pics of your tortoise.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell

All the foods listed in this guide:

You'll have to consult tortoise table uk to know how frequent to feed what foods.