CA native plants for outdoor CDT enclosure

orgetorix

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange, CA
I'm sure this has been asked and answered in various ways over the years, but I am looking for some specific suggestions. I am going to be planting a section of my yard, an L-shaped planter, roughly 3' x 20' on each side. I am looking for some CA native plants that are easy to care for, don't require too much water, don't get too big and look nice. Maybe 3-4 types that can take full sun and some that can tolerate some shade. Of course, tortoise friendly is a must. I've seen many lists but get overwhelmed with the giant lists of Latin names and am just looking for some advice for those with experience.

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
fennel, lambs quarter, mallow, thistle, pineapple weed. . . you do understand, don't you, that edible CALIFORNIA plants are weeds? Opuntia is also a good one. And squash plants, roses, pansies, dichondra, bermuda grass, rose of sharon.

orgetorix

5 Year Member
Orange, CA
Thank you.. Yes I understand about many native edible plants being weeds. I guess I was wondering if there are more native plants that may also double as decorative as well.

EricW

Houston, TX
Thank you.. Yes I understand about many native edible plants being weeds. I guess I was wondering if there are more native plants that may also double as decorative as well.
Look into desert mallows such as Sphaeralcea ambigua (Desert Globemallow) and Sphaeralcea angustifolia (Copper Globemallow). Those may be the only two that are native.

California Poppy (Eschscholzia californica)

Hibiscus denudatus
(Paleface Rock Hibiscus) - only native Hibiscus that I can find

Opuntia basilaris (Beavertail cactus), Opuntia chlorotica (pancake cactus), Opuntia polyacantha (great plains prickly pear), Opuntia phaeacantha (tulip prickly pear), and more. Opuntia is one of the easiest for southern California, plenty to choose from.

Dichondra donelliana (California ponysfoot) - only one of Dichondra in California, most likely only going to be available from a native plant source.

Plantago elongata (coastal plantain) , Plantago ovata (Desert Plantain) - there are others. Not showy at all, but something to tuck away somewhere to feed.

There are plenty more, but the above are some starting points.

I suggest seeing if there are any nurseries around that specialize in native plants and take a look around. They should have the scientific name, anything that you fancy, check it against one of those lists. You are probably going to have to put in some time to research on your own, looking up scientific names, etc. Not many folks are well versed in Natives, captive husbandry of tortoises, and what is safe for tortoises all in one. Plus, many of the natives lack any data on weather they are safe for tortoises or not, let alone humans. The above are safe.

Also, look for seeds online. You are not going to find most of the above at most nurseries. Can even look for the plant on Etsy. I sometimes find some good Texas natives on there.

The following is a helpful link form the California Native Plant Society. List of native plants for Orange which has both scientific and common names as well as pictures. Keep in mind that you would want to confirm plant by scientific name, not common name. Many common names change, are used for multiple different species, or are used because what the plant resembles instead of what it is. Like Cape Honeysuckle is not a honeysuckle, but from genus Tecoma, aka Esperanza and should not be fed to tortoises. It is named honeysuckle because the flower resemble that of a honeysuckle.

Last edited: