C A C T U S F R U I T

Status
Not open for further replies.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
sacramento california
i had a chance to get more cactus out of my buddys yard and saw that this variety of cactus had red knobby balls of juicy fruit at the ends of each pad i collected sum of those along with a couple pads,upon feeding alittle to my baby star tortoise(not alot)i noticed that he loved it as i thought he would but was wondering how often or at all is it ok to feed this???

J. Ellis

5 Year Member
Texas
It's not only alright to feed, but every tortoise I've fed it to loves it! It is actually the "Prickly Pear" of the "Prickly Pear Cactus". Try some yourself, it's quite good.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
oh ok i get it,a pear with spikes.......

Its also got seeds in it,i put some up on a shelf to dry out,maybe i can start sum from seed.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
We actually grow it and feed our hatchlings prickly pear cactus from day one. They love it and it is a great natural food source for a tortoise.

J. Ellis

5 Year Member
Texas
ALDABRAMAN said:
We actually grow it and feed our hatchlings prickly pear cactus from day one. They love it and it is a great natural food source for a tortoise.

As do we. Unfortunately we don't have the "Spineless" variety, but the property we live on came with 50% of the fence line (of 15-acres) covered in six-foot high Prickly Pear Cactus.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
we collect wild cactus berries. i take them home, blanch them to get rid of desert extras... and then freeze the berries. RV gets treats of them after I've taken off any spikes ..

she loves them

teri

Gus

5 Year Member
Completel ok all my star love it = )

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
all my tortoises love it and I've had it and its actually pretty good. You should try it. The pads are good also. Chop it up with some carne asada and you got nopales or nopalitos tacos, I think, tasty stuff.

Gus

5 Year Member
Yes my star also eat the young pad it's good and they just love it like Mc Donald = P

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Mine will NOT eat it, I offer it everyday, and she just walks right thru it. I even tried to put a little dab on her nose thinking she would get a little taste, but no luck! The little piggy eats everything else in sight!

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
Its like sumone already said on here,stars appetites vary depending on the star jus like different people like different things,ive noticed as mine gets older his appetite changes and it seems like he finds sumthing new as his favorite food all the time.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
J. Ellis said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

As do we. Unfortunately we don't have the "Spineless" variety, but the property we live on came with 50% of the fence line (of 15-acres) covered in six-foot high Prickly Pear Cactus.

That is great! I use to get a full pick up load full and dump the whole thing undwer the large oak trees. They love it.

Torty Mom said:
Mine will NOT eat it, I offer it everyday, and she just walks right thru it. I even tried to put a little dab on her nose thinking she would get a little taste, but no luck! The little piggy eats everything else in sight!
We some times have to beak the young pads open so it begins to develope antibiotics so the new hathclings will them eat them. Once they get a tast they continue and eat the unbroken pads like candy.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
SILVERSTAR said:
really i did not know it developed different chemical propertys by breaking it and lettn it dry ill have to try that.

From what I understand is that a wild tortoise will break/damage some plants so the plant will develop antibodies for healing itself and the torotises will then eat the damaged plant for the healing properties that the damage plant has developed. I heard of this at from a speaker about gopher tortoise at a herp society lecture. Interesting, it seems to stimulate our hatchlings when we break it open initially.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Aldabraman, my CDT is a hatchling, and I have exposed it to her since she was 2 weeks old. I chop it up pretty little for her, and like I mentioned, I have even rubbed some on her tiny nose, thinking she would get a sniff or a taste. Nope! Not even the pricky pears, in all their beautiful red glory, I'm sad......I will keep trying!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Torty Mom said:
Aldabraman, my CDT is a hatchling, and I have exposed it to her since she was 2 weeks old. I chop it up pretty little for her, and like I mentioned, I have even rubbed some on her tiny nose, thinking she would get a sniff or a taste. Nope! Not even the pricky pears, in all their beautiful red glory, I'm sad......I will keep trying!

Our hatchlings eat very little at first, mostly chopped up lettuce and sective grass with small amount of cactus. after about 20 days, they become agressive eaters. I am sure you soak your torotise, this helps.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
the pads i took are now dry at the end so i planted them today in my indoor greenhouse,hope they take id like to have the variety,so far i got the flat opuntia,a red tint kind,and now big huge producing pads and prickly pear,and everytime i run across a new strain i will add it to my collection also.

Status
Not open for further replies.