Button’s thread

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Tomorrow, I’ll hopefully be receiving Piglet from the lovely @DesertAmy. I’ve been wanting to take in a russian for a few years now, and I am absolutely ecstatic that the day is finally here! I am so excited to offer this adorable boy a wonderful home where he’ll be spoiled, as well as offering me more experience in the tortoise keeping field to use to help others.

As much as I absolutely adore the name Piglet, I will probably be changing it to Button the Russian to match my Curtis the Turtis. However, I can’t just completely get rid of the name Piglet and I had an extremely hard time deciding between the two, so it’s now his middle name. Then, referring to him as Piglet would still be correct :)

I’ve set up a 6 foot diameter (28 square feet) kiddy pool to serve as an indoor enclose. It’s has two bulbs for a basking spot -not a compact UVB, I promise- to ensure that the temps are high enough without using a spot type bulb. Substrate is cypress mulch, and 4 inches deep.4B15E862-9A00-408D-9ED6-355C55AAF9E9.jpeg

I also built him a nice, 8x8 foot outdoor pen for nice days. I will be waiting a week before putting him out, and gradually moving from short intervals to all day to allow him to adapt to outdoor living. I don’t want to overwhelm him with it, so we’re taking it like a tortoise- nice and slow :p
72BB093D-531F-41B5-AFBB-2425AFF25CCE.jpeg
I’m getting a cactus pad ready to plant, and I would like to buy a mulberry tree or hibiscus bush for more shade. I’ll almost certainly try to propagate some crepe myrtle and/or grape vine.

The enclosure is seeded with Tortoise supply’s broadleaf Testudo mix.

I wanted to go even further to spoil my wonderful new boy, so I purchased some dried foods from @Kapidolo Farms. They were even nice enough to include layer crumbles, which I am extremely excited to try!26113257-DC85-4731-B0E8-3480950C9BE6.jpeg
He is apparently a little stubborn when it comes to food, but I am certain that he’ll be on the good stuff in no time.

I absolutely cannot wait for tomorrow to come! I can’t thank Amy enough for trusting me with the well-being of her gorgeous Piglet. Here’s to hoping he’ll have many years to come enjoying life in his new home :)

Last edited:

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Tomorrow, I’ll hopefully be receiving Piglet from the lovely @DesertAmy. I’ve been wanting to take in a russian for a few years now, and I am absolutely ecstatic that the day is finally here! I am so excited to offer this adorable boy a wonderful home where he’ll be spoiled, as well as offering me more experience in the tortoise keeping field to use to help others.

As much as I absolutely adore the name Piglet, I will probably be changing it to Button the Russian to match my Curtis the Turtis. However, I can’t just completely get rid of the name Piglet and I had an extremely hard time deciding between the two, so it’s now his middle name. Then, referring to him as Piglet would still be correct :)

I’ve set up a 6 foot diameter (28 square feet) kiddy pool to serve as an indoor enclose. It’s has two bulbs for a basking spot -not a compact UVB, I promise- to ensure that the temps are high enough without using a spot type bulb. Substrate is cypress mulch, and 4 inches deep.View attachment 295851

I also built him a nice, 8x8 foot outdoor pen for nice days. I will be waiting a week before putting him out, and gradually moving from short intervals to all day to allow him to adapt to outdoor living. I don’t want to overwhelm him with it, so we’re taking it like a tortoise- nice and slow :p
View attachment 295852
I’m getting a cactus pad ready to plant, and I would like to buy a mulberry tree or hibiscus bush for more shade. I’ll almost certainly try to propagate some crepe myrtle and/or grape vine.

I wanted to go even further to spoil my wonderful new boy, so I purchased some dried foods from @Kapidolo Farms. They were even nice enough to include layer crumbles, which I am extremely excited to try!View attachment 295853
He is apparently a little stubborn when it comes to food, but I certain that he’ll be on the good stuff in no time.

I absolutely cannot wait for tomorrow to come! I can’t thank Amy enough for trusting me with the well-being of her gorgeous Piglet. Here’s to hoping he’ll have many years to come enjoying life in his new home :)
Lucky lil tort. I look forward to following this thread. Congrats!

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands

I’ve set up a 6 foot diameter (28 square feet) kiddy pool to serve as an indoor enclose. It’s has two bulbs for a basking spot -not a compact UVB, I promise- to ensure that the temps are high enough without using a spot type bulb. Substrate is cypress mulch, and 4 inches deep.View attachment 295851

View attachment 295852

I wanted to go even further to spoil my wonderful new boy, so I purchased some dried foods from @Kapidolo Farms. They were even nice enough to include layer crumbles, which I am extremely excited to try!View attachment 295853
He is apparently a little stubborn when it comes to food, but I am certain that he’ll be on the good stuff in no time.

So, I baptise thee Button Piglet TechnoCheese ????

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Not that I expect him to eat today, but here’s his first meal! It’s mazuri soaked in hibiscus tea mixed with rose petals, nettle, moringa, red clover, dandelion, horse herb, grape leaves, and a single trumpet flower :)6518794C-E14E-497C-945C-5F3A4697C77E.jpeg

You can see what he thought of it in this video of me putting him in :p

DesertAmy

Las Vegas, NV
Not that I expect him to eat today, but here’s his first meal! It’s mazuri soaked in hibiscus tea mixed with rose petals, nettle, moringa, red clover, dandelion, horse herb, grape leaves, and a single trumpet flower :)View attachment 295907

You can see what he thought of it in this video of me putting him in :p
It's really nice to see him settling in.