Bushes for redfoot enclosure

pawsplus

Location (City and/or State)
Nashville, TN
Hi all -- I haven't been active lately, but my redfoot Beasley, who will be 25 in the Spring (!!!), is doing great. We are moving from my farm, where we have been for 19 years, to a condo in town. I prioritized the animals in my search and found a really great place that has the largest yard I saw for a condo (still not huge, but room for a 10x20 foot outdoor enclosure, while leaving room for my dog Rachel to pee (yes, they will be completely separated!). Beasley will have her own room for her huge tortoise table for the winter.

Right now, the area where the tort pen will go is just blank dirt. Having done several tor pens before, I know how to design it. But Beasley's previous pen already had some appropriate bushes for hiding and such. This one needs a lot of landscaping!

I will definitely plant Rose of Sharon--Beas loves the flowers! But they are not especially low-growing or bushy, and will not provide cover. I need some bushes--preferably at least some that are evergreen, so *I* can enjoy the yard in all seasons--that are non-toxic. Is there a list somewhere? What about boxwood? Is that possible?

All ideas appreciated. Understand that she is a large tortoise--10"--so little rosemary plants and such would just be plowed down. I need hefty, larger bushes that can stand up to her. And won't hurt her!

Pic for attention--Beasley in her pen on my farm., and one of the pen early in Spring, before everything grew in.

Attachments

• beas5.jpg
    beas5.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 7
  • beas_pen_S19.jpg
    beas_pen_S19.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 7

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
I see that privet is toxic as well. Beasley has had privet in every pen so far (not that I want it--it's impossible to get rid of LOL) and has never eaten it or had a problem. But it is high up, not right at the ground. So I can see that would make a difference. It's not going to be easy to find good, big bushes that are not toxic!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Spider Plants and Lyriopi are inexpensive and bushy. They also do ok in low light.
I've never had a Redfoot express any interest in trying to eat them, either. So they can be used right away.
They're my go to plants for RF

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
Thanks! Those aren't really bushes though--more grasses?? Might work if they can handle some shade.

I am wondering about using BIG ferns. HUGE ones, that are too big for her to tromp down. It is a fairly shady area (perfect for redfoots, who don't like too much direct sun), so ferns should grow well. MAYBE huge hostas, but I have had her decimate those before and they are too expensive to just throw away.

Also apparently camellia is fairly safe--in that it is unlikely to be eaten. Also barberry?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks! Those aren't really bushes though--more grasses?? Might work if they can handle some shade.

I am wondering about using BIG ferns. HUGE ones, that are too big for her to tromp down. It is a fairly shady area (perfect for redfoots, who don't like too much direct sun), so ferns should grow well. MAYBE huge hostas, but I have had her decimate those before and they are too expensive to just throw away.

Also apparently camellia is fairly safe--in that it is unlikely to be eaten. Also barberry?
I'm only going on what I've been able to use here in South Florida.
Ferns do grow in the shade. I have I giant one growing on the shady area of one of my fish ponds. But I've never used any in my Redfoot enclosures. Just overgrown bushy plants.