Burrowing

Hhollylouise

Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire
I have a 7 month old hermann tortoise who has lived on just coco cor since ive had a month today and i recently mixed up a new subrate which i found on here as i learned its much better for them but ‘shes’ not burrowing everday in the after noon she burrows down to sleep for the night but hasnt done this today and is just asleep on top in the same corner she normally burrows is there somthing ive done wrong , i got her from a breeder who used this mixture to so its not like shes not used to it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 7 month old hermann tortoise who has lived on just coco cor since ive had a month today and i recently mixed up a new subrate which i found on here as i learned its much better for them but ‘shes’ not burrowing everday in the after noon she burrows down to sleep for the night but hasnt done this today and is just asleep on top in the same corner she normally burrows is there somthing ive done wrong , i got her from a breeder who used this mixture to so its not like shes not used to it
What is the new substrate. Most breeders and keepers over there are using the wrong stuff. I think you had it right to begin with.

If the new substrate has sand, soil, or those little white limestone bits in it, it is the WRONG substrate.

More here:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If the answer to Toms post is that it's the right stuff, then maybe move the top substrate away from that spot just a little. Maybe she will then go into it. Otherwise don't need to really worry about it, a lot of torts will nap on top

Hhollylouise

Hampshire
Thank you yes thats exactly what i got its sand soil and limestone i feel like an idiot going from the right stuff to the wrong stuff will she be okay until i get the right stuff as i couldnt get any coco coir without ordering online so it may take a few days to come

Hhollylouise

Hampshire
What is the new substrate. Most breeders and keepers over there are using the wrong stuff. I think you had it right to begin with.

If the new substrate has sand, soil, or those little white limestone bits in it, it is the WRONG substrate.

More here:

Thank you yes thats exactly what i got its sand soil and limestone i feel like an idiot going from the right stuff to the wrong stuff will she be okay until i get the right stuff as i couldnt get any coco coir without ordering online so it may take a few days to come

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure she is eating off a plate or something similar and pick up any food that might get pushed off that plate
It wouldn't hurt to remove the substrate and go with none until the order comes. But it could possibly hurt her if she swallows too much sand. Your call

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i feel like an idiot...
You shouldn't. The person who thought encouraging a tortoise to eat sandy soil substrate to satisfy its calcium cravings is the one who should feel like an idiot. Closely followed by all the idiots who recommend this substrate to their customers. I can't believe that no one from that company, no one in any of the pet shops, and no one that is buying that stuff has not thought this through...

Misinformation is rampant out there. You should fee good about trying to do research and trying to give your tortoise a good life. Its not your fault that a perceived expert gave you the wrong advice. I'm glad that you have now found the right info! :)

Hhollylouise

Hampshire
You shouldn't. The person who thought encouraging a tortoise to eat sandy soil substrate to satisfy its calcium cravings is the one who should feel like an idiot. Closely followed by all the idiots who recommend this substrate to their customers. I can't believe that no one from that company, no one in any of the pet shops, and no one that is buying that stuff has not thought this through...

Misinformation is rampant out there. You should fee good about trying to do research and trying to give your tortoise a good life. Its not your fault that a perceived expert gave you the wrong advice. I'm glad that you have now found the right info! :)
Thank you

thank you , yes ive read such conflicting advice ive spent hours everyday to find the best stuff to make sure she has a good life , thankfully i found someone where i lived that had two bags of coco coir spare from there tortoise which they gave me so she is now back on coco coir

Hhollylouise

Hampshire

I

i do have a quick question since changing her substrate again back to coco coir i noticed she wont settle normally she goes to sleep in her corner at 5 but its currently 8:30 and she is still awake walking around is there anything i can do

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I

i do have a quick question since changing her substrate again back to coco coir i noticed she wont settle normally she goes to sleep in her corner at 5 but its currently 8:30 and she is still awake walking around is there anything i can do
Tortoises don't like change. It leaves them unsettled sometimes. I would do nothing. Let the lights turn off when they normally do, and she will get back to normal eventually.

Also, hand pack the coir and keep it damp, but not wet.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I

I think she is just a bit confused - she will most likely settle down again in a day or two.
Angie (from Devon)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
When we change something in an enclosure, I think it's not just the way it looks and feels to the tortoise, but how it smells. It's unsettling for a while, like, "Am I safe? Where am I?"