Burmese Stars, indoors for winter:

Status
Not open for further replies.

conservation

10 Year Member!
I finally brought my little ones indoors as colder weather moved into California.

This year, I purchased eight hatchlings and one yearling. I traded/sold four hatchlings in order to afford an adult pair that became available.

The yearling arrived pyramided but has since had very smooth growth.

They have been kept outdoors 24/7 in a planted enclosure.

Here are photos of the remaining four hatchlings and one yearling so everyone can see their growth.

Attachments

• DSCN0859.JPG
    DSCN0859.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCN0853.JPG
    DSCN0853.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN0850.JPG
    DSCN0850.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN0854.JPG
    DSCN0854.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN0855.JPG
    DSCN0855.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 129

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
They look great. Just an observation I noticed. Was this after you sprayed them or do you keep them pretty wet? Just wanted to mention these guys can become pretty susceptible to bacterial infections on the carapace and plastron. Id make sure to give them a good scrub once a month just to be sure. I do this with all my stars, as a learning experience (bad) from the past. But they are great, going to be nice adults.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
They look great. How cold does it get where you live? I am planning to keep my 20 - 22 month old platynotas outside this winter, with heat of course. I am still trying to figure out the best way to make sure that they don't have any way to get too cold though. I know I can't count on them to be smart enough to seek out the heat, so they will need to be confined to the warm areas of their pen somehow.

conservation

10 Year Member!
My temps get to a low of mid 30's on the coldest night. My adult pair is still outside. I have a raised, heated dog house with a heat pad in it set to 90 degrees. I just set it up last week so it has been interesting to watch how having a heated house 24/7 has changed their behavior. They are now active at night. My female was eating right now....

Last night the female entered the house on her own and spent the entire night inside. Tonight, the male entered the house on his own. Hopefully he spends the whole night in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.