Bump/skin tag on neck?

user6002

Location (City and/or State)
CA
hello! i bought a baby tortoise last week with a bump on her back neck area and i didn’t think anything of it until recently that i noticed it got bigger and isn’t allowing her to go into her shell like she would normally, im wondering if it’s anything i should be concerned about or if it’s normal? please let me know if anyone can help me understand, thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_3853.jpeg
    IMG_3853.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3855.jpeg
    IMG_3855.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3856.jpeg
    IMG_3856.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's A deadly disease going around with baby tortoises called Austwickia, or more commonly yellow bump disease. I don't know if that's what this is or not. Only your vet can tell you. He needs to see a vet asap! If it is, it's highly contageous.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hello! i bought a baby tortoise last week with a bump on her back neck area and i didn’t think anything of it until recently that i noticed it got bigger and isn’t allowing her to go into her shell like she would normally, im wondering if it’s anything i should be concerned about or if it’s normal? please let me know if anyone can help me understand, thank you!
That doesn't look like typical Austwikia to me. It looks like shed skin that was wet, got piled up, and then dried. Hard to tell from the pictures.

That tortoise is being housed much too dry, and it is pyramiding. Also looks like you got sold the wrong type of bowls. Most of the care info out in the world for sulcatas is all wrong. Read through this and look for the sulcata care sheet near the bottom:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi! Thanks for coming here and trying to help your little tortoise. Please take him out of the sand, it's a really bad substrate for tortoises if that's what he is living in. Please read the care sheet, and try to get him to a good reptile vet ASAP. Also please keep us updated on your progress with improving his conditions.

user6002

CA
That doesn't look like typical Austwikia to me. It looks like shed skin that was wet, got piled up, and then dried. Hard to tell from the pictures.

That tortoise is being housed much too dry, and it is pyramiding. Also looks like you got sold the wrong type of bowls. Most of the care info out in the world for sulcatas is all wrong. Read through this and look for the sulcata care sheet near the bottom:

Thank you so much for your help. i will definitely look into this and fix her habitat.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
It might be worth soaking his neck for quite a while, by putting a wet paper towel or cloth over it, and wetting it again when it starts to dry Then, using a wet Qtip or similar, gently press and stroke the lump and see if perhaps it shows signs of disintegrating - if it is dried up skin, it might start to unravel, and you could loosen it up. Obviously, stop if it seems to hurt him.
Angie

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Is the raised part a cap or scab that previously sealed the top of the bump? It almost looks like an abscess that opened up, perhaps from a previous injury rubbing its neck against the shell??

user6002

CA
It might be worth soaking his neck for quite a while, by putting a wet paper towel or cloth over it, and wetting it again when it starts to dry Then, using a wet Qtip or similar, gently press and stroke the lump and see if perhaps it shows signs of disintegrating - if it is dried up skin, it might start to unravel, and you could loosen it up. Obviously, stop if it seems to hurt him.
Angie
Thank you i will try this!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
We are concerned, and interested in what is going on now with your adorable little tortoise! Please let us know?

user6002

CA
We are concerned, and interested in what is going on now with your adorable little tortoise! Please let us know?
update, it was just old skin and i was able to remove it after soaking her in warm water. i have also made a lot of adjustments to her habitat and made a daily routine for her, she seems to be doing so much better now!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
That's very good news ! I do hope you will keep in touch with this forum - you will find that people here are very friendly and helpful -there are quite a few who have kept and studied tortoises for many years, and have a great deal of up to date knowledge, and also people who just want to give their tortoises the best life
they can. I'm sure you will find out lots of interesting things.
Best wishes from Angie

user6002

CA
That's very good news ! I do hope you will keep in touch with this forum - you will find that people here are very friendly and helpful -there are quite a few who have kept and studied tortoises for many years, and have a great deal of up to date knowledge, and also people who just want to give their tortoises the best life
they can. I'm sure you will find out lots of interesting things.
Best wishes from Angie
I definitely will! thank you so much