Bullied Tortoise

Cutva

5 Year Member
My tortoise Ruby is missing scales on her legs. We have separated her from the other tortoises and will be getting a new cage when we move in about 2 weeks but until then she is in a tote. What should I do about her legs? I am soaking her while I set up the cage but what else can I do?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418943681.492941.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
You can use antibiotic cream, on the cuts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is a normal injury, and is not life-threatening. There's nothing for you to worry about.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My tortoise Ruby is missing scales on her legs. We have separated her from the other tortoises and will be getting a new cage when we move in about 2 weeks but until then she is in a tote. What should I do about her legs? I am soaking her while I set up the cage but what else can I do?View attachment 110584

Just be sure to offer warm water flushes to the area and the tort should be fine...I would just make sure to keep an eye on the areas until they are no longer exposed and wet to the touch so to speak....

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Good wound-care advice is already posted above.
You mentioned this tortoise was in with other tortoiseS. How many are you keeping together? It MAY be necessary to separate them all, and keep them solo while indoors.
I have a few that do ok in groups of 3 or more in a large enclosure, but most of my RTs end up having to be kept solo during the cold indoors season.

I'd suggest you read the following article about tortoises bullying each other: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/