Built my boys a new house today!

DevilDogDoc

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Spent the better part of 12 hours today building a new closed chamber today. The guys are in a 55 gallon closed chamber right now so it was time to upgrade, hopefully this will do until I move them out to the yard in a year or two. It measures out at 8 feet by 30 inches by 18 tall. Total from floor to top is 55 inches, I'm going to put it on wheels to move it in the house cause it's heavy, 1/2 inch plywood and 2x4's. I put vents on each side because I live in the desert and it gets pretty hot in the part of the house it's going in and I figured I would need some way to cool it down if need be. Took most of the design from Tom's 2015 growth experiment chamber. Will paint with Drylok and glass in the front.165667[/ATTACH] image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
What are you gonna use to measure heat and humidity? Project looks great. My only concern is since this is going into a room that's already dry and hot, how much hotter and dryer will it get when you use lighting and CHE? Measuring temps and humidity frequently will be critical.

DevilDogDoc

What are you gonna use to measure heat and humidity? Project looks great. My only concern is since this is going into a room that's already dry and hot, how much hotter and dryer will it get when you use lighting and CHE? Measuring temps and humidity frequently will be critical.
The same thermo/hygrometer I have been using. My current setup stays at 85-90 degrees and the same in humidity. Moist and hot hasn't been an issue so far with it all sealed up the way it is.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
The same thermo/hygrometer I have been using. My current setup stays at 85-90 degrees and the same in humidity. Moist and hot hasn't been an issue so far with it all sealed up the way it is.

Great! What thermo/hydrometer is that?What other torts do you have, if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Omg, they are so cute!! Btw, that meter isn't the best. I went through three of them and it consistently failed or wasn't accurate. Do you have a temp gun? I would constantly check the temps in different parts of the enclosure. My husband is a software developer, and he built a remote temp/hydrometer sensor with a back-up battery that tells him the exact temps/humidity levels when it goes below/above the given ranges we selected. It signals an alarm and posts a message to our cell phones when it fluctuates. There's nothing on the market that accurate and dependable. But, not having that, I think the kind of temp/hydrometer with the wire cord sensor is the best. Have you asked Tom what he uses?

One last note: You should separate the sullies when they grow out of that enclosure cause they will bully and fight for the best heat space and food. One or more may be dominated by the one doing the bulling. It makes the others timid and stressful. If you've seen this behavior or start to see it, I would separate them immediately.

Last edited:

DevilDogDoc

I have, these are the ones he recommends. I'll be looking into something a little more comprehensive before I'm done but so far these have done the job.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I have, these are the ones he recommends. I'll be looking into something a little more comprehensive before I'm done but so far these have done the job.

Okay. I'd like you yo check out what my husband built out of a raspberry pie. His thread is called REMOTE TEMPERATURE AND HUMIDITY MONITORING SOLUTION (I think). Search under his username Michigan Frog. Here's a pic of it.WP_20160213_18_03_22_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Your enclosure is beyond fantastic! You're so talented!
Thanks for sharing this.
:)

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
They look happy and healthy to me . I am sure they will enjoy the larger size . Nice work , I hope it lasts til they are ready to move outside ! :cool: