Building the baby cheery enlcosure

Hotsause

Location (City and/or State)
Connecticut
61E1E13E-D98D-4D47-A925-813144D9CD07.jpeg A5AC36B5-CE50-46C7-8BE1-DC3358DF31D0.jpeg
Based off these readings from the probes next the the hide I think he will be happy in his new home tonight.

Hotsause

Connecticut
Now I finally have a good avatar pic. Thank you guys so much for the help. This project is far from over but It feels so good to finally have biggmann settled in and the equipment on hand to make to even better tmrw. Thank you especially to @Blackdog1714 for being there from the start. I picked out all the moss by hand in the areas where I figured he might dig, then covered in reptibark. So far he only seems concerned with eating the strawberries so that’s good. I will be continuing to make the improvements and posting my progress.

Hotsause

Connecticut
Hey kinda forgot about this thread here. Here’s the small changes I’ve made
8C45BA73-EE71-4963-8882-D73685B31AA6.jpeg
Those things in the back are Venus flytraps (with their own water basin inside, as not to mix with my soil because they are from the pet store)that I put in to try and kill the fruit flies, but I don’t think it’s working. The spider plant was from my moms house so I know it’s safe. I was able to raise the lamp like and inch or so but it’s super ghetto now. Thinking of getting a Exo Terra 36x18x18 with the doors on the front. Would look a lot nicer and good for a few years or him I think.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Those things in the back are Venus flytraps (with their own water basin inside, as not to mix with my soil because they are from the pet store)that I put in to try and kill the fruit flies, but I don’t think it’s working. The spider plant was from my moms house so I know it’s safe. I was able to raise the lamp like and inch or so but it’s super ghetto now. Thinking of getting a Exo Terra 36x18x18 with the doors on the front. Would look a lot nicer and good for a few years or him I think.
Fruit flies are probably too small to spring VFTs...or they will crawl out if a trap does shut.

Try Pinguicula (Butterwort) species for wee flies and gnats...

Krista S

Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
View attachment 327392
Looks good. I think you’d regret the 36x18x18 because he’s likely to outgrow it in less than a year. That‘s what I initially bought for my little Hermann’s hatchling also thinking it would be good for a few years, but he outgrew it in less than a year. I‘d go bigger right away.

Hotsause

Connecticut
B5DD41A8-F55C-418B-B789-86EABBE6AF86.jpeg
Gave him calcium powder for the first time today. Guess I need to make sure it’s attached to the food better. My man looking like Tony Montana over here,.

Hotsause

Connecticut
CB9C75B9-7C23-483C-A4BE-47A0129244BC.jpeg
So I decided I’m going to build a better tub. This was the biggest I could find. It’s only a few inches longer and wider than the one I have, but much taller. I’m going attach these metal bars (hot glue probably) and use it to mount the lighting and heat off of. I also plan on canabalizing that smaller clear lid to insert into a cutout in larger blue one that fits the tub. That way more natural light will get in for me to observe better.
A89E14AE-0AEB-4B4B-B65C-D193775A6642.jpeg
I’m also planning on putting some of this down once I find out if it’s safe to use. I have seen some beautiful enclosures with moss so hopefully this stuff is ok.

That’s all I can think of for now. The best part about this project I can take my time building it. I found out real quick how stressful it is to make any major adjustments to the enclosure when the tortoise is living in. This way I get to make sure it’s perfect before I move him in.

TortoiseSupply.com