Building My First Tortoise Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Reds1Sulcata

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Started building a big home for my two little sulcatas. What a task it is...but I'm excited to have them into their new home by the end of the weekend.

I've caught a few comments that hydration/humidity is key to prevent pyramiding....any other comments would be helpful. I'll post pictures once it's all done.

2Reds1Sulcata

5 Year Member
Arizona
Here is part of my table. Still need more soil/grass mix.

011412171809.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

2Reds1Sulcata

5 Year Member
Arizona
Yes I do. I was told they are 6 months old. I still need to fix a few things, but I had to get them out of their temporary habitat and something better for them.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
I really like that. What kind of wood did you use?

2Reds1Sulcata

5 Year Member
Arizona
tyguy35 said:
I really like that. What kind of wood did you use?

I'm not really sure. My husband bought the 1 x 16 boards for me. That is what I used for the enclosure and second level. The bottom is OSB plywood and I would highly NOT recommend using it. The problem for me is I'm on budget. But next time I'd go with the more expensive wood.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Just about any wood will work if you use a tough liner on the bottom and up the sides, stapled, or waterproof paint and siliconed cracks, etc.
Nice looking!

2Reds1Sulcata

5 Year Member
Arizona
Utah Lynn said:
A very nice looking enclosure.

Thank you!

lynnedit said:
Just about any wood will work if you use a tough liner on the bottom and up the sides, stapled, or waterproof paint and siliconed cracks, etc.
Nice looking!

Thanks! Yes, that is what I still need to do, but I despirately wanted them out of the aquarium. The liner and silicone are what I'm purchasing this payday.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
my advice, DO NOT TRUST the clamps on your lights. find a different way to mount the lights safely. too many torts have been burned and too many house have caught fire from that one little faulty clamp.

2Reds1Sulcata

5 Year Member
Arizona
SulcataSquirt said:
my advice, DO NOT TRUST the clamps on your lights. find a different way to mount the lights safely. too many torts have been burned and too many house have caught fire from that one little faulty clamp.

Thank you for that tip! I have it set up where it hangs on a hook above the enclosure....but even that could be faulty. I'll definitely put that on my "fix" list too! Thank you!

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
its go 50/50 on which fails the clamp or the little cheap wing nut that you cant seem to tighten enough. I would built a wooden arm over the enclosure and secure the lights with some cheap small chain from the hardware store.

2Reds1Sulcata

5 Year Member
Arizona
SulcataSquirt said:
its go 50/50 on which fails the clamp or the little cheap wing nut that you cant seem to tighten enough. I would built a wooden arm over the enclosure and secure the lights with some cheap small chain from the hardware store.

I definitely have to build at least half a roof to increase the humidity, but that is something that I will change in the plans. Thanks!

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado
if this helps this is what i did , my table setup is almost like yours but with a top on it , im still adding to it lol to new hobbies (and life style) ill try to get a pic of the lighting setup for you too , im in the middle of making a down stairs for them with just a uvb tube , stays 76 to 80F in that spot , i cant remember what the brand name of the floor sealant was but it was kid and pet safe cost a little bit but works great

2Reds1Sulcata

5 Year Member
Arizona
slowpoke said:
if this helps this is what i did , my table setup is almost like yours but with a top on it , im still adding to it lol to new hobbies (and life style) ill try to get a pic of the lighting setup for you too , im in the middle of making a down stairs for them with just a uvb tube , stays 76 to 80F in that spot , i cant remember what the brand name of the floor sealant was but it was kid and pet safe cost a little bit but works great

That looks really good!! I plan on making a down stairs once they get bigger. You've given me some ideas. I plan on putting a cover, but due to when my hubby gets paid, I have to wait to get more material for it. If you remember the name of the sealant, please let me know. That is another thing I need to do, but want to make sure I get something safe for them. :)

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
I really really like how this table is set and the worksmanship is flawless. i wish i saw this earlier to base my blueprints off of :)

2Reds1Sulcata

5 Year Member
Arizona
blastoise91 said:
I really really like how this table is set and the worksmanship is flawless. i wish i saw this earlier to base my blueprints off of :)

Thank you! I'm hoping to get my finishing touches done with in the next two weekends. My little guys seem to like it, but it doesn't stay very humid. Right now I have plastic over half of it and that seems to be helping. Can't wait to get a cover made for it!

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado
2Reds1Sulcata said:
slowpoke said:

That looks really good!! I plan on making a down stairs once they get bigger. You've given me some ideas. I plan on putting a cover, but due to when my hubby gets paid, I have to wait to get more material for it. If you remember the name of the sealant, please let me know. That is another thing I need to do, but want to make sure I get something safe for them. :)

I used Mythic ... They make all kinds of paints and sealants that are safe for pets and kids alike ...

i got some pics of the lighting , i have russian torts so i didnt really worry to much on the humidity part i just spray it down in the mornings and evenings when i get home from work seems to keep it about 40 to 50% , depends if i have the door close to the room... i went a bit cheeper on the lighting instead of a mvb i went with a tubed fluorescent lamp by zoomed 5.0 which gives it a 25 microwatts of uvb at the hight its at and got the zoomed day/heat 100w lights , i used a porcelain fixture (like the kind in barns and sheds) wired it up with some old extension cords i had around , if you look also i gaped the porcelain fixture so the wood top would not get hot ...all set on some christmas light timers i had ...

2Reds1Sulcata

5 Year Member
Arizona

i got some pics of the lighting , i have russian torts so i didnt really worry to much on the humidity part i just spray it down in the mornings and evenings when i get home from work seems to keep it about 40 to 50% , depends if i have the door close to the room... i went a bit cheeper on the lighting instead of a mvb i went with a tubed fluorescent lamp by zoomed 5.0 which gives it a 25 microwatts of uvb at the hight its at and got the zoomed day/heat 100w lights , i used a porcelain fixture (like the kind in barns and sheds) wired it up with some old extension cords i had around , if you look also i gaped the porcelain fixture so the wood top would not get hot ...all set on some christmas light timers i had ...
[/quote]

Thanks for the pics! This gives me some ideas. My hubby is an electrician so I know I can get him to wire everything for me. I just need to figure how to adjust it so that they can get to the second level and yet not have the lamp too close.

Status
Not open for further replies.