Building enclosure, need suggestions/tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeansie1988

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamilton, ON
Hi everyone!

Okay, so I bought a tortoise just a week ago, i currently have it sent up in a pond tub, 48"x28" with an open top.

I have asked my hubby if he would build me something that is closed in and bigger! I am worried because the humidity has not been the highest that it should be.

Questions then:

What have people used for their homemade enclosures so that the wood doesn't be moldy or stain? Do you place something on the wood or can you use like a blue tarp then put the substrate ontop of that?

How many vent holes?

Would the location of the lights (i have a heat light and a T8 24" UVB light), be better inside the enclosure or have a hole in the top which the light can fit it?

Any ideas/suggestions?

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I personally dont like the tube lights. I like to use the Powersun UVB bulbs from Zoo Med. I just think they work better. Just my opinion tho.. Good luck! :)

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
I'll be building a new wood enclosure in the next couple weeks. I think I'll be using a truck bed paint to seal the inside and make it waterproof. Rust-oleum sells a spray on version.

wheezysmomma

5 Year Member
British Columbia
I used Zalvar ($50 CDN for a paint size bucket) however its pretty stinky so needs a LOOOONG time to air out. You can use Pond liner from a garden/pond store to cover a 5'x3' enclosure it will cost about $90 (CDN) or just use an industrial think plastic and line it to above the substrate. Having an open top provides nice ventilation so you don't have to worry about vent holes just get an old book shelf and flip it on its back take out the shelves and waterproof the bottom and voila you have a tort table! I have a clamp heat dome that is clipped to a piece of wood that is nailed to the side of the box and my UVB light is 4' long and so it only doesn't reach the hidden area (his hide box) and its smack dab in the middle of the enclosure length wise cimmons12 had it right strip UV lights are waaaay better! If your concerned about the humidity cover 1/2 the unit with a top and cut a hole in it and mount your dome lamp inside. Do NOT put UVB on top of a screen as it filters the UV and it won't get to your tort it has to be above them with nothing between the light and your tort :) hope this helps (I'm new too but NOT new to reptiles and UV lighting is the same for all reptiles that need UV ) :D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I vote for using plastic to line the enclosure- shower curtains, blue tarps, whatever. Cheap, easy, and effective.

I vote for covering the whole thing with what would basically be a tent, and hanging the lighting, etc. INSIDE the tent if possible. You'll have to experiment with venting- probably have to rig up something that allows you to adjust it as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.