building a new outdoor enclosure need advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
south Florida
hi guys ,i am building a new outdoor enclosure for 4 of my star tortoise, but my mother in law use some insect control on the soil , i already took most of the soil out,but there must have some left there, so i am think getting some substrates cover it , so what is the best out door substrates ? and i am worry that they will dig so they may still have contact to those soil.any advise will be great . thanks
e18e4102.jpg

8cad75ff.jpg

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
How much of the old soil did you take out (inches)?

As far as adding substrate, any organic topsoil, or untreated soil would be fine.

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
south Florida
4 inches I took most of them an I will try to to take more out tomorrow , the thing is those insect control may went in to the ground also , but I know tortoise likes to dig some time . Or I may add a lot of organic top soil in it

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That bottle shows it is the season long treatment.....I would personally be concerned for at least an entire year of seasons.....

Now, if your torts are using that space for outdoor time to gain sun and not living in there full time all the time...then I would say to dig out dirt down to 10 inches then back fill with the suggested organic soils...also remember that if that surrounding area was also treated when ever your irrigation comes on you may have the possibility of surface water pooling and contaminating the area you have worked so hard on....

Also, I have to disclose that I am UBER OCD when it comes to any chemicals and so my response is based from that place....I use absolutely no chemical or foreign sprays or products on our property...so again, I am disclosing Crazy OCD Town Queen here.... :D so I always error on the side of caution vs taking a chance when it comes to this type of stuff....

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If you can dig out a as much soil as you can, and backfill with soil as Angela suggests, it should be fine. It is a really nice space, sunny, lots of walking room.
It would be a shame not to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.